Toaster Oven Buying Guide
A toaster oven has been a staple of kitchens for decades. This appliance allows you to achieve an oven-baked flavor from a space-saving, countertop device. It can bake, broil and defrost many small meals as well as a conventional oven. Before you make a decision, consider which types of toaster ovens and features work in your kitchen.
If you don't require extra features and add-ons, this model uses standard heating coils to heat food quickly.
- Good option for simple baking - If you're looking to warm up leftovers, toast bread or melt cheese, then a standard heating coil-powered toaster oven will do.
- Ideal in small spaces - When living in a small apartment and don't have room for a full-size oven, a toaster oven will give you the baking power you need in a small appliance.
A convection toaster uses fan-circulated heat like a conventional oven but in a small, space-saving appliances. This type of heat creates even, thorough cooking.
- Complement a standard oven - If you like to bake large meals with multiple dishes that need the oven, a convection toaster oven will let you whip up sides while the main course uses the large, conventional oven.
- Cooks complex dishes - If you bake small personal pizzas, baked potatoes or other dishes, a convection model can cook these while using considerably less energy.
Browse all convection toaster ovens
An infrared toaster oven uses infrared and convection heating elements in one unit. This technology helps heat food quicker than other models.
- Makes quick meals - The combination of infrared and convection heat means meals can be cooked in a fraction of the time.
- Perfect for frozen pizza - An infrared convection model is able to bake pizza quickly and create a crispy crust.
Features of Toaster Ovens
- Defrost - This thaws out food quickly without actually cooking it.
- Reheat - The reheat function gives leftovers a fresh-out-of-the-oven taste.
- Broil - Using broiling heat applies direct heat from above to get a grilled effect.
- Pizza mode - A toaster oven with pizza mode helps make perfect frozen pizzas without burning the crust.
- Toast - Whether you prefer light, dark or somewhere in between, you can make perfect toast everytime with this heat cycle.
- Glass windows - Many models feature glass windows so you can view how your food is cooking.
- Rotisseries - If you love making chicken or turkey on a rotisserie, look for toaster ovens that feature these accessories.
- Non-stick interior - Some models feature non-stick interiors that make cleanup as easy as possible.
- Timer settings - With built-in timers, you can keep track of your favorite dishes.
- Automatic shut-off - The latest options include automatic shut-offs so your pizza or small roast doesn't burn.