If you're looking to upgrade your laundry but you're low on space, you have some options. Laundry centers and all-in-one models both combine a washer and dryer so you can use less square footage. Learn more about the pros and cons to each to determine which is right for your home.
Laundry Centers vs. All-In-One Washers & Dryers
All-in-One Washer and Dryers
|Vertically stacked compact design||Single-unit compact design|
Ease of Access
|May be difficult for shorter people||Some bending required|
Gas or Electric Dryer
|Both available||Electric only|
|Less than standalone models||Less than standalone models|
Advantages of Laundry Centers
- Compact design - Laundry centers feature a vertically stacked design, making them great for apartments.
- Gas and electric available - Laundry centers can have either an electric or gas dryer.
- Classic appearance - Laundry centers have a classic appearance that's simple and clean.
Limitations of Laundry Centers
- Fewer bells and whistles - Laundry centers tend to be simpler than standalone and all-in-one models with fewer special features and wash cycles.
- Too tall to reach - Shorter people may need to stand on their tiptoes or use a stepladder to reach inside the dryer.
- Vent required - Laundry centers require a vent to the outside.
- Reduced capacity - Because of their compact design, laundry centers can't hold as much laundry as most standalone machines.
shop all laundry centers
All-in-One Washers & Dryers
Advantages of All-in-One Washer and Dryers
- Convenient - These models can wash and dry your laundry in one long cycle, so you don't have to transfer your clothes between machines or start the dryer.
- Compact - All-in-one washer and dryers require just half the space of having two separate machines.
- Modern appearance - These washers have a more sophisticated appearance than traditional top-load washers.
- No vent required - All-in-one models do not need to be vented to the outside.
Limitations of All-in-One Washer and Dryers
- Slower - The drying cycle on these models tends to take longer than standalone dryers.
- More difficult to access - All-in-one models may require you to bend down to reach inside the wash basket. Placing your washer on a laundry pedestal can help with this by raising it by a foot or more.
- Electric only - All-in-one washer and dryers feature electric dryers only.
- Smaller capacity - Like laundry centers, all-in-one washer and dryers have a smaller capacity than standalone washer and dryers.
shop all-in-one washers & dryers