Top Five Reasons You Want a Smart Thermostat
by Troy Edward Robbins
If you've ever forgotten to turn down your thermostat as you head out the door on a week-long trip, you know the pain of seeing a huge upcharge on your next heating bill. With a smart digital thermostat, you'll have complete remote control over your heat level and access to all the information you need on an easy-to-read, user-friendly screen. Some brands let you link your smartphone to your thermostat, meaning you can adjust the temperature from any location. With a Honeywell thermostat, you can even match the on-screen display to the color scheme in your home or office.
Here are just five of the many reasons you should switch to a smart digital thermostat:
1. They're safe and environmentally friendly. Many older, dial-based thermostats rely on mercury switches that help control temperature. By using a smart thermostat, you can ensure you're keeping mercury out of your house. Here's another tip: recycle your old thermostat. Doing so can help reduce the colossal amounts of mercury that end up in landfills each year.
2. They make energy-efficient temperature control look easy. Customizable touch screens make digital thermostats easy to use and very accurate. Use them to program specific settings or make changes at a moment's notice from your display, smartphone, computer or tablet.
3. They can help cut energy costs. Whether you're trying to save for a rainy day or a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, you know how expensive heating and cooling a house can be. Many smart thermostats help you save money by allowing you to program the heating and cooling schedules that work best with your lifestyle. That way, you can splurge on a first-class seat to Hawaii instead of throwing money at your next energy bill.
4. They'll help you keep your cool. You know those days when it's only 78 degrees outside, but it feels like it's 93? Well, that's because of humidity. Unlike older thermostats, some smart thermostats can sense humidity, and will let you adjust the temperature so you can reach your desired comfort level.
5. They'll bring you up to speed. Most digital thermostats can notify you when you're in need of a new filter, or if there has been a malfunction. These devices will often display alerts on their touch screens, and can also send them to your phone, computer or tablet. They can keep you informed about a number of other things as well. For instance, a Honeywell thermostat will report weather conditions, extreme temperatures and required humidifier pad changes.
Smart thermostats marry technological advances with ease of use. You don't need to keep up with the hottest trends or be a computer engineer to utilize this technology. Simply tell a digital thermostat what you like and it will keep you comfortable and relaxed, all while saving you money through efficiency.