Buying a Necklace
A pretty necklace is always a lovely addition to a beautiful jewelry collection. Whether you're buying one for yourself or as a gift for a special someone, there are plenty of designs and styles to choose from. Some pieces may suit your facial features, but they might not match a certain outfit you had in mind. Here are some features, tips and types of necklaces to consider during your search.
Chokers are necklaces fitted closely to the neck and sit just above the collar bone. These designs range from statement pieces with precious stones to simple satin tie-ups that work as an extension of an outfit. Choker necklaces can be made from a wide variety of materials including velvet, leather, lace and plastic.
- Fashion advantage - Collar designs help to draw attention to a woman's neck and shoulder, bringing her face into the spotlight.
- Style tip - Consider wearing these with a strapless or low cut tops. You can also dawn choker with elegant dresses for an extra special occasion.
Chain necklaces are a series of metal rings, linked together to adorn the neck. These styles can be thin or thick and worn with different kinds of outfits.
- Fashion advantage - Chains are a subtle way to touch up an already dressy ensemble. These can add a hint of style to casual outfits.
- Style tip - They can be worn under the collar of a top or blouse as an extra embellishment.
Browse all chain necklaces
Pendant necklaces feature a piece of hanging jewelry and come in a wide range of sizes and designs. From small solitaire stones and cute chunky charms to large personalized lockets and colorful motifs, you can find options that match any individual sense of style.
- Fashion advantage - Pendants are the perfect way to add a sparkly touch to any basic outfit.
- Style tip - For special occasions, consider wearing a design featuring a solitaire stone or pendant with shimmery metal.
Beaded necklaces comprise of small balls crafted from glass, plastic or wood and are strung together to form a neck piece.
- Fashion advantage - Beaded necklaces can spruce up a plain outfit with a carefree yet graceful vibe.
- Style tip - Beads are great options when you want to add a dash of color to a neutral ensemble.
Strand necklaces are traditional accessories that typically consist of a string of pearls in a single strand. These designs are available in different materials like silver and platinum. Many options feature sober colors like ivory, black, white and cream as well as hues of blue and green.
- Fashion advantage - Strand necklaces are perfect for formal events when you need understated yet elegant accessories.
- Style tip - Depending on the occasion, make sure to choose between delicate or heavy patterns that match your outfit.
Layered necklaces can consist of many different necklaces worn together or one piece with multiple strands of jewelry.
- Fashion advantage - Create a completely different look using the same everyday neck pieces by stacking them up together.
- Style tip - Make sure that your first piece is the shortest necklace of the cluster. Then, follow it up with pieces of increasing length. Many pre-arranged pieces follow this look.
There are various features to consider when buying a new necklace. Not every piece is made of the same material but deciding which one best meets your requirements will help you to make the right choice.
- Silver - A popular choice for all types of jewelry, silver is softer than other metals and requires more care and maintenance. However, sterling silver is a bit stronger because it's made with a blend of silver and more durable metals like copper.
- Gold - An alloy of gold and other metals is used to craft gold jewelry. It's constructed in various colors, including yellow gold, green gold, white gold and rose gold.
- Platinum - Extremely durable and rare, platinum is typically the most expensive of all the metals. This type of metal is used especially for exclusive and high-end jewelry pieces.
- Titanium - Stronger than all the others, titanium is the hardest on the market. It's a popular choice among jewelry makers because of its hypoallergenic, scratch-resistant and lightweight properties.
- Barrel clasps - These types of clasps are made of two metal pieces that screw together to close and bear a strong resemblance to a barrel.
- Toggle clasps - Toggle options are constructed of two very different pieces, featuring a T-shape or long bar on one side and a circular open piece on the other side.
- Hook clasps - The oldest and simplest form of necklace closures are hook clasps. The design uses a simple S-shaped hook that attaches one end of the piece to the other.
- Lobster clasps - These types of fasteners are spring-loaded and self-closing. Available in a variety of styles, they also include a swivel design that allows the clasp to rotate 360 degrees.
- Spring ring clasps - These use metal rings with spring mechanisms. Spring rings are considered one of the most common clasps and are found on all types of jewelry.
- Cable chain - Made up of oval or round links, cable chains are very popular choices in fashion jewelry.
- Box chain - When a round wire is rolled flat and folded into square links, it becomes a box chain.
- Franco chain - This type of chain is a thicker style made with v-shaped links.
- Rope chain - A rope design features rows of metal links woven together to look like a two-strand rope.
- Curb chain - When uniform oval or round links are twisted or diamond-cut and looped together, they form a curb chain.
- Fancy chain - Any chain that features a variation on a standard chain, like attached dangles or a special finish, is a fancy chain.