Leaf Blower Showdown: Electric vs. Gas Leaf Blowers
Electric and gas-powered leaf blowers are handy for cleaning up leaves, grass clippings and other debris from your lawn. Both do an effective job and are available with a number of features that help make yard cleanup a breeze. Let's take a closer look to help you find the perfect model for your lawn.
Electric (Corded or Cordless)
Gas (Handheld or Backpack)
|(Corded) Limited by cord; (Battery) No restrictions||No restrictions|
|Less powerful ||More powerful |
Electric Leaf Blowers (Corded or Cordless)
Advantages of Electric Leaf Blowers
- Quiet operation - Electric models tend to be quieter than gas-powered blowers, making them perfect for residential
- Weight - Most electric leaf blowers weigh under 10 pounds, making them easy to operate.
Limitations of Electric Leaf Blowers
- Limited portability - Corded electric leaf blowers have limited reach. When it comes to cordless electric models, the length of the charge will restrict the amount of land you can clear before having to recharge the unit.
- Power - Cordless models have less power than corded ones, and both are less powerful than gas-powered units.
shop all corded & cordless leaf blowers
Gas Leaf Blowers (Handheld or Backpack)
Advantages of Gas Leaf Blowers
- Portability/ease of use - A gas-powered unit is completely unrestricted and can be taken anywhere around a property. Backpack designs are a comfortable choice for larger
- Powerful - Gas-powered blowers, both handheld and backpack, have more power than electric blowers, giving you the ability to accomplish heavy-duty cleanup.
Limitations of Gas Leaf Blowers
- Noisy - With decibel levels in the 72 to 82 range, gas-powered blowers are louder than electric ones, so hearing protection is required. Additionally, some neighborhoods may have restrictions on the noise level or times these blowers can be operat
- Fuel - Gas-powered leaf blowers require fuel, so if you don't want the extra maintenance of a gas-powered machine, such as mixing fuel in two-cycle engines or changing spark plugs, an electric blower may be a better option.
shop all gas leaf blower