About SHC-ScottD

I have been a field technician for many years. I have worked for a few different companies and also had my own business for several years. I offer common sense solutions for your needs. I have been an employee of Sears for nearly 20 years. Professional Degrees and Certifications: I have multiple certificates of training completion and receive ongoing training on appliance repair. I have been a licensed and certified HVAC technician for many years.

Types of Badges

Community Manager Comm Mgr

Comm Mgr

Community managers take care of the entire community so we can enjoy it.
Moderator Moderator

Moderators are the good people who help get questions answered and make sure everyone follows the rules.
Expert Expert

Expert

Experts are the smart cookies who know a ton about products and answer questions.
Sears Cares Sears Cares

Sears Cares

People with this badge are trained customer care representatives who make sure you get help when you need it.
Associate Associate

Associate

Associates are actual employees of Sears Holding Corporation, but not part of the Community Team.
Vendor Vendor

Vendor

These are business partners of or suppliers to Sears Holdings Corporation.
Editor Editor

Editor

Editors are grammar gurus who create blogs and guides that you will enjoy.
Sr. Blogger Sr. Blogger

Sr. Blogger

Count on these topical wordsmiths to deliver blogs and guides that matter to you.
  1. Food & Cooking The "Element On" light on my Kenmore Electric Range (Model 790) will not go off, even though all of the knobs are off and there is no heat coming from any of the stove top elements. Please advise.

I can understand your concern about the indicator light staying on. This will indicate that one of the burner infinite switches has a stuck contact. Unfortunately the model number is not listed, so I …
  2. Home & Family I have a kenmore washer, model number 417.44042400. How do you set the load size? I just ran it and it doesn't seem like there was near enough water.

Kral, I'm sorry you are having this problem with the washer. This type of problem could be caused by the control, the water valve, the temperature selector switch or it could be a water pressure probl…
  3. Home & Family Kenmore 800 washer - no cold water on rinse cycle

jobber, thank you for the model number. The information you have received from Ron is very good. Another good way to check this, since apparently the hot water is working, will be to reverse the wires…
  4. Home & Family We have an older Kenmore washer w/ dryer stacked on top (dryer model # 417.69042991), and have been informed that the washer bearings are failing. We'd like to keep the dryer, since it just got serviced a few months ago and is doing great. Are there washers available now on which we can stack the old dryer?

Hello Marcus and thank you for your question. Unfortunately, with all the years that have passed and the design changes of the washers now, it's highly unlikely that any of the washers now, will accom…
  5. Home & Family model#795.71053 - bottom of freezer with build up of thick ice on defrost pan . otherwise seems to work fine. any way to confirm proper function of defrost/evaporation cycling of the unit?? no error codes seen on display.

Normally when the icing condition is only at the bottom section, it will indicate the drain has frozen closed. In this case, you can turn the unit off or disconnect the power for 24 hours and leave th…
  6. Outdoors I have a kenmore 790 and when I cleaned it the oven door turned yellow. Can you tell me why and can I get it cleaned?

Thank you for the model number. This is a self-clean model. The owner's manual indicates to only use soap and water to clean the oven door on page 20. If this is the inner door liner that turned yello…
  7. Outdoors I have a kenmore 790 and when I cleaned it the oven door turned yellow. Can you tell me why and can I get it cleaned?

Hello BeckyHump, I'm sorry you have this problem with the oven door. Without the model I cannot be specific but I would suspect this is a self-clean oven. If this is the case, it's not recommended to …
  8. Home & Family Kenmore Elite dishwasher is experiencing the F2E2 error. Looking for repair info.

Erick6, thank you for the reply. Yes, replacing the clamp with a standard hose clamp should resolve this issue. I hope this will help you.
  9. Home & Family Only 5 months after warranty I have the famous F2E2 on my top of the line Kenmore Elite dishwasher. What do I do?

Erick6, a water leak under the unit could the the cause for the error. Repairing the leak may correct this problem. The information listed by Fred is very good. The issue with the F2/E2 error code on …
  10. Food & Cooking Clean light keeps flashing on my Kenmore Elite dishwasher. Is there a filter that I can clean?

The diagnostic procedure for this model will be one of the following: HIGH TEMP SCRUB, AIR DRY, HIGH TEMP SCRUB, AIR DRY Or SANI RINSE, AIR DRY, SANI RINSE, AIR DRY If the same …
  11. Outdoors Why does 17hp riding mower oil filter fill up with gas?

Without the model number, I will only be able to provide some general information. When you get gas in the oil it is because the float in the carburetor is bad or the needle and seat that the float cl…
  12. Home & Family How to change code on a Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener model # 41A3493-1?

AJinChica, I'm sorry you are having this problem with the GDO. If you have the same model as the one listed above your question, unfortunately the owner's manual is no longer available. However, I'm l…
  13. Home & Family Kenmore electric range, model 790, control panel burned out in less than 5 years

I would like to emphasize the importance of always turning off the power first before gaining access to any of the electrical components. Also before making any voltage checks, make sure the power is …
  14. Home & Family My kenmore elite fridge lights won't shut off and started to melt plastic around the light socket. Several website state that kenmore has extended he warranty for life for this problem. Is this correct?

Crystal, yes, the warranty for this particular problem has been extended for the life of the unit. You may be told that there will be a charge but when the tech arrives and finds this type of problem …
  15. Home & Family My kenmore elite fridge lights won't shut off and started to melt plastic around the light socket. Several website state that kenmore has extended he warranty for life for this problem. Is this correct?

Hello Crystal, I'm sorry you are having the problem with the light and I can understand your concern. This has been an issue with many units and the warranty has been extended for this problem. There …
  16. Home & Family I just purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator and the water filter needs replacing but I cannot get it out. I tried turning the water off to lessen the pressure but it still did not pull out. What should I do?

JudyLou, I'm sorry you are having this problem with the filter. Unfortunately, the model number is not listed and I will only be able to provide some general information. If this is a pull out filter,…
  17. Home & Family The small green light in the garage door opener flickers and the light on the opener itself will not turn off.

Dempsey, I'm sorry you are having this problem with the GDO. Without the model number, I will not be able to provide specific information. However, if the green light is flickering, it's probably show…
More >