Chef George Hirsch to Serve Piña Colada Dessert at Burger Bash

Join me at ShopYourWay.com/GeorgeHirsch and be part of the up-to-the-minute snapshots and updates during this year’s Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Festival. Use Twitter hashtags #grillingishappiness, #SOBEWFF, #SOBE Feb. 21- 24. I’ll capture great moments behind the scenes from the culinary events, my TV appearances & the dish from my celebrity chef friends. What better way to leave a lasting impression at Amstel Light Burger Bash presented by Pat LaFrieda Meats hosted by Rachael Ray on Feb. 22 than with my George’s Grilled Piña Colada Dessert Burger. Check out my recipe for this delicious dessert below.

I’m excited to be at the festival serving as co-host of the Sears Grilling is Happiness Lounge with Ty Pennington as well as judge at the Amstel Light Burger Bash hosted by Rachel Ray. I’ll be judging top burgers from notable chefs including Bobby Flay, Marc Murphy, and Laurent Tourendel. I will also be serving up my signature George’s Piña Colada Dessert Burger, inspired by the San Juan cocktail of the same name, at the Amstel Light Burger Bash.

We will be literally lighting up Miami Beach as we unveil the Sears Exclusive Lighted Patio Collections, including the Halley Collection from La-Z-Boy and the Bella Luna from Agio. The built-in lighting creates the perfect ambiance for any gathering.

Here is the recipe for my signature dessert, which I’ll be serving at Friday’s Burger Bash.

Grilled Pina Colada Dessert Burger with GIH Flag

George’s Grilled Piña Colada Dessert Burger

George Hirsch’s chocolate pastry sandwich, featuring a grilled rum-infused pineapple in coconut cream.

Makes 15 small Dessert Burgers

For Grilled Pineapplegrilled pineapple

Ingredients:

1 ripe Pineapple

2 Tablespoons Brown sugar

¼ cup Dark Rum, such as Myers

2 Tablespoons butter, melted

1 Tablespoon mint, chopped

Directions:

Cut off top, bottom, peel outside skin of a ripe pineapple. Cut horizontally into 1/2-inch slices, remove center core. Pour marinade over top of pineapple for 3-4 hours prior to grilling.

Remove pineapple from marinade. Grill at medium-high temperature for 2 to 3 minutes, basting on each side with marinade. Remove and cool.

Chocolate Buns for Dessert Burger

Makes 30 small cookies (buns) to make 15 mini Dessert Burgers.

Ingredients:

3½ cups all-purpose flour

¼ teaspoon salt

1¼ teaspoons baking powder

1¼ teaspoons baking soda

¾ cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Valrhona)

½ cup good strong warm coffee

2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar

¾ cup canola oil

1 large egg, beaten

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

½ cup buttermilk, *or ½ cup milk with 1/4 teaspoon vinegar

2 Tablespoons Shredded coconut, lightly toasted

*Add white vinegar to milk to make the buttermilk. Allow to sit 5 minutes to sour.

Directions: 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, and set aside.

In another large bowl, mix the cocoa powder and brown sugar. Add warm coffee and whisk until completely dissolved. Add oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk and whisk until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as you fold.

Use a small ice cream scoop to drop a heaping tablespoon of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the cookies are just starting to crack on top; use caution not to over bake. Let the cookies cool completely before removing from the pan.

Piña Colada Filling

Ingredients:

5 large egg whites

1½ cups sugar

2 cups (4 sticks) sweet butter, room temperature cut into ½-inch cubes

¼ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pure coconut extract

Directions: 

Whisk the egg whites and sugar together in a medium bowl. Set the bowl over a double boiler with simmering water but do not let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. Heat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved and the color is milky-white, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Transfer the egg mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and start slowly at first, beating on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Remove the whisk attachment and replace with the paddle attachment. Add salt and coconut flavoring; then the cubed butter. Starting slowly at first, beat on medium-high speed until filling is light and creamy, about 5 minutes.

To assemble Piña Colada Dessert Burger

Turn half the cooled cookies upside down (flat side facing up). With a pastry bag or spoon, drop a teaspoon of Piña Colada icing onto the flat side of the cookie. Top with grilled pineapple, a teaspoon of Piña Colada icing on top, and sprinkle a small amount of coconut on top.

Place the cookie with the flat side down, on top of the filled bottom. Press down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edges of the cookie. Repeat until all the cookies are used. Put the Grilled Dessert Burgers in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up icing before serving.

Allow the Grilled Dessert Burgers to adjust to room temperature before serving.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. This comment has been removed.

2. This comment has been removed.

3. This comment has been removed.

4. This comment has been removed.

5. This comment has been removed.

6. This comment has been removed.

7. This comment has been removed.

8. This comment has been removed.

9. This comment has been removed.

10. This comment has been removed.

11. This comment has been removed.

12. This comment has been removed.

13. This comment has been removed.

14. This comment has been removed.

15. This comment has been removed.

16. This comment has been removed.

17. This comment has been removed.

18. This comment has been removed.

19. This comment has been removed.

20. This comment has been removed.

21. This comment has been removed.

22. This comment has been removed.

23. This comment has been removed.

24. This comment has been removed.

25. This comment has been removed.

26. This comment has been removed.

27. This comment has been removed.

28. This comment has been removed.

29. This comment has been removed.

30. This comment has been removed.

31. This comment has been removed.

32. This comment has been removed.

33. This comment has been removed.

34. This comment has been removed.

35. This comment has been removed.

36. This comment has been removed.

37. This comment has been removed.

38. This comment has been removed.

39. This comment has been removed.

40. This comment has been removed.

41. This comment has been removed.

42. This comment has been removed.

43. This comment has been removed.

44. This comment has been removed.

45. This comment has been removed.

46. This comment has been removed.

47. This comment has been removed.

48. This comment has been removed.

49. This comment has been removed.

50. This comment has been removed.

51. This comment has been removed.

52. This comment has been removed.

53. This comment has been removed.

54. This comment has been removed.

55. This comment has been removed.

56. This comment has been removed.

57. This comment has been removed.

58. This comment has been removed.

59. This comment has been removed.

60. This comment has been removed.

61. This comment has been removed.

62. This comment has been removed.

63. This comment has been removed.

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.