Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Hectic mornings just don’t lend themselves to time at the stove making breakfast.  I find that I eat healthier when I have a plan for breakfast, especially when that plan can be put into motion the night before.  Over the years, I have gathered a variety of ideas and recipes for keeping breakfast unprocessed, quick, healthy, and low in sugar – reflecting my priorities for getting the day started on the right note!

fruit-bowl

Healthy Breakfasts

Soak your oats.

In this no-cook version of oatmeal, rolled oats are soaked in milk.  For two servings, I use a simple ratio of 1 cup of milk to 1 cup of oats (you can do 2:2 or 3:3 depending on how many mouths you are feeding).  Combine the milk, oats and a pinch of salt in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate before you go to bed.  In the morning, portion yourself a serving and add a sliced banana, honey, maple syrup, raisins, almonds, or whatever you like.   You can heat it up in the microwave if you prefer it hot.  Your oat/milk mixture can be kept refrigerated for up to four days.

Bake mini frittatas.

mini frittatasThis is a simple project for after dinner or on the weekend.  It pays off in dividends!  Heat your oven to 375°.  Spray a standard muffin pan thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray.   Fill the muffin cups 2/3 of the way full with shredded cheese, diced onions, diced mushrooms, diced ham, or whatever it is you like with eggs.  In a separate bowl, scramble 1 egg for every muffin cup you have filled (4 eggs for 4 cups, 6 eggs for 6 cups, etc.).  Add salt and pepper to the eggs and then pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup until about ¾ full.  Use a fork to gently stir the ingredients around in each muffin cup.  Bake them for about 25 minutes or until the frittatas are puffed, golden and set in the middle.  They last in the refrigerator for up to four days, or you can wrap and freeze them for reheating in the microwave.  Grab and go!

Make a fruit salad.

Depending on the season, I like chopping up melons, berries, grapes, apples and stone fruit (plums, peaches, nectarines) and tossing them together as a fruit salad.  In the mornings, I simply portion some fruit and add some soaked oats (see above), yogurt, or nuts to the mix.  Freeze some of the fruit in freezer bags and use chunks of frozen fruit along with a combination of milk, water or yogurt to make a breakfast smoothie in the blender.

breakfast-toastSavor savory toast.

When I was an apprentice in the kitchen at Golden Door Spa, they served a very simple, hearty toast for breakfast.  It is easy to make at home and delicious too.  Heat the broiler in your oven or toaster oven.  Top slices of bread with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with grated Gruyere cheese, or other cheese of your choice.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Broil until the cheese is hot and melty.  You can slice the tomatoes and grate the cheese the night before.  Instead of tomatoes, you can use leftover grilled or roasted vegetables or sliced avocado.  Yum.

Use cooked whole grains.

If you have leftover plain cooked brown rice, farro or quinoa in your refrigerator, use it to make breakfast porridge.  Simply top the cooked grains with milk or almond milk and add fresh fruit, honey, and nuts.  Heat it if you like, but it’s not necessary.  It’s like a nice (unprocessed!) whole grain cereal.

Hard boil eggs.

Whenever I have hard-boiled eggs in my refrigerator, I wonder, why don’t I always have hard-boiled eggs in my refrigerator?  Here is my go to method for hard-boiling eggs.  Place eggs in a saucepan and cover them with cold water, 1” over the top of the eggs.  Put the eggs to boil on the stove.  Once they boil, remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and allow them to sit for 17 minutes.  Rinse the eggs in cold water to make peeling them easier or store them unpeeled, in the refrigerator, for up to one week.  I eat them whole, dipped in salt.  I also peel them and mash them up on a plate with some salt and pepper.  Better yet, slice them and team them with avocado as a topping for savory toast. – Kristen Desmond

Read Kristen’s Recent Blogs & Guides

° Freezer Cooking 101 - NEW & HOT!
° Healthy Food Substitutions – Making Good Food Better
° Winter Squash Recipes for Fall
° Throw a “Grilling” Pizza Party
° Choosing the Best Cookware for the Task
° Ways to Create the Best Salads – Not Just For Lunch
° How to Cook Tomatoes – The Chef’s Way
° Back to School – Meal Planning Ideas
° Kitchen Organization – Like a Pro
° Pantry Staples – The Essentials for your Kitchen Cupboard – Part II
° Pantry Staples – The Essentials for your Kitchen Cupboard
° Accommodating Special Diets – Vegetarian to Gluten-Free
° Stone Fruit Cooking Made Easy – Grilled, Baked & Poached
° The Secret to Good Cooking in Five Simple Steps

Sears Cookware & Gadgets: 
° Kitchenware & Cookware Sets

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Thanks for the tipss Kristen! I especially love the mini fritta suggestion. I'm going to try that this weekend.

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.