When in Doubt, Braise it!

Coq au Vin, Osso Bucco, Braised Short Ribs, whatever the case may be, THESE are the comforting foods that I always preach!  Anything that is cooked with wine and veggies, heck you can just sign me up!  The trick though, is getting that fall off the bone meat that is so crispy and so juicy that you cannot help but dang near eat the pot it was cooked in.  If you have had this before and know what I am talking about, don;t worry your not sick, the method of cooking is called braising.  It is probably my favorite way to prepare just about any food, no matter if it’s proteins or vegetables.  So how hard is it to pull off?  Not hard at all, just give me a pot and some time and I’ll fix you right up!

Braising truly is an art, not because it takes some sort of creative skill, but because the finished product it a thing of beauty.  There is not much more I like in this world more than braised food.  To correctly braise, first you need to figure out what it is you are cooking and then in a pot with a tad bit of olive oil, you want to sear whatever it is you are cooking so that all sides become golden brown.  Once browned, add in vegetables and continue to sear for a few minutes making sure to caramelize the veggies some.  Next on the list is deglazing with wine and then adding in stock and then off to the oven you go for at least 90 minutes.  Now if you are cooking vegetables only, you can easily do this on the burner by just covering the pan with a lid and simmering on low heat until veggies are tender.  Another great way to infuse flavor is by adding in equal amounts of wine and stock.. Well I am starving after righting this so the next time you aren’t sure what to do with those lamb shanks or baby carrots, look to the art of braising!

Chef Billy Parisi

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.