Interests & Hobbies : Food & Cooking

• Cooking Pumpkin

• I LOVE pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread, but I always use canned. Would love a tip on how to make my own pumpkin puree. Also wondering, how much does a pie pumpkin make? Is it worth the effort instead of using canned?

(To reply to any topic or comment, you must Sign in)

Making pumpkin purée is a simple process, really. I think the trade-off comes down to whether the price savings per cup of pumpkin purée is worth the time it takes to make it, because honestly, I believe that 100% pure canned pumpkin works just as well as homemade in recipes that call for it. That said, for the dedicated do-it-your-selfer, pumpkin purée is a perfect match. For this task, use sugar pie pumpkins, widely available this time of year. With care, split the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and the fiber that binds them together. Sprinkle the insides with salt and place them flesh-down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast them in a 400° until fork tender, about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of your pumpkin. Let the pumpkin cool completely before separating the skin from the flesh. Use a food processor or immersion blender to purée the roasted flesh for a few minutes, until smooth. And there you have it! A 4-pound pumpkin yields about 5 cups of purée. Let us know how it goes and whether you think the taste makes a difference!

Kristen

Hi Julie,

Making pumpkin purée is a simple process, really. I think the trade-off comes down to whether the price savings per cup of pumpkin purée is worth the time it takes to make it, because honestly, I believe that 100% pure canned pumpkin works just as well as homemade in recipes that call for it. That said, for the dedicated do-it-your-selfer, pumpkin purée is a perfect match. For this task, use sugar pie pumpkins, widely available this time of year. With care, split the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and the fiber that binds them together. Sprinkle the insides with salt and place them flesh-down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast them in a 400° until fork tender, about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of your pumpkin. Let the pumpkin cool completely before separating the skin from the flesh. Use a food processor or immersion blender to purée the roasted flesh for a few minutes, until smooth. And there you have it! A 4-pound pumpkin yields about 5 cups of purée. Let us know how it goes and whether you think the taste makes a difference!

Kristen

That yields more than I would have expected! I think it will be worth a try. Thanks for the tips, Kristen!

Forums Interests & Hob... Food & Cooking Cooking Pumpkin

Replying to a Thread

To post a comment or reply >> Sign in