Chit Chat : Sears Holdings Corporation

• Lack of Training = Bad Customer Experience

• Used AmEx Rewards to obtain gift certificates to purchase a television from Sears online. Website said tv was available at chosen store and could be picked up that day. Received confirmation order and waited for store email regarding pickup. When no email received, I contacted Customer Service online next day. Initially told that order number I possessed didn’t exist. After further research and with help from her manager, customer rep then said that my money had been received, and she would contact store as soon as store opened (1 1/2 hrs) and make arrangements for me to pick up tv. I asked at the time that since she was in customer service and answering calls continually, that perhaps a mgr should perform request. She promised me that she would take care of and call me right after. No phone call came – I then contacted store pickup dept myself. Rep said yes my order was there and I could pick up without email confirmation. I asked him to make sure I could go without confirmation, and he said yes. Husband and I went after work to pick up with our order confirmation in hand. No order showed in system. Rep said he would have mgr look into. We waited about 1/2 hr, and then I searched around and found mgr, sales associate and employee from order dept in room on phone. When associate hung up phone, she said that although they had my money, they had not received order from online. I explained all that transpired and that there should be some solution. Mgr then rudely spoke up and said that Sears online is not same as Sears stores, and that I should have not come in without email confirmation. Mgr did not come across as empathetic, nor did she offer any type of solution. We left without tv, which eventually came in next day.
    To a customer, Sears online and Sears stores are the same (even if they are not). When a customer has an extremely bad experience, the store manager should be empowered to fix the problem – In any event, the manager should be given training in how to deal with frustrated customers. It seems that the Sales Associate and the employee in delivery were far more customer oriented. My experience at running a midsize company’s Quality/Training program required that customer experience is key to company’s reputation. Sears seems to be missing that quality in its managers and in allowing customer reps to make promises they cannot keep.

(To reply to any topic or comment, you must Sign in)
  • Hi there, jelkaissi! Thanks so much for posting your experience on the MySears Community, along with your constructive feedback on what occurred. I am sorry that you did not get your as promised. I am going to escalate this to the SearsCares team, who would be happy to discuss this further and do what they can to make it right for you.

A team member will reach out in a bit looking to help. Once that response is posted, I will let you know via email with a link back to this thread.

Thanks again!

Jelkaissi,

Thank you for your post as well as for the information that you have provided us regarding your recent online purchase experience. My name is Jack and I am with the Sears Cares Escalations Team. Please accept our apology for the poor customer service that you have received to this point. You made a very good point in your post. To the consumer, whether you make your purchase online or in our store, you are still purchasing from Sears; and the quality of the customer service that you receive should be the same regardless of who you are speaking to at Sears. In addition, there is no excuse for the lack of follow up by the online agent that you spoke with and who did not contact the store as promised. At this point we would like to have a case manager contact you to discuss this matter in greater detail. We would, of course, like to ensure that your future dealings with Sears are handled with the great customer service that you deserve and that our other customers do not run into similar issues that you encountered. If you would like to speak to us about this, please email the following information – your contact phone number, screen name (Jelkaissi), and phone number used at the time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again we’re sorry for any trouble this may have caused and we look forward to speaking to you soon.
    Thank you,

Jack C.
    MySears Community Moderator

Forums Chit Chat Sears Holdings Corpo... Lack of Training = B...

Replying to a Thread

To post a comment or reply >> Sign in