Ask an Expert : Cooking

• Rice Cooker?

• I am thinking about purchasing a rice cooker, but not sure what to look for in purchasing one? Can I go the less expensive route, or should I spend a little extra for a higher quality cooker?

Does anyone out there have one? Can it be used for more than rice such as quinoa or barley?

(To reply to any topic or comment, you must Sign in)

I asked around, and from what I understand, there are several things to consider when purchasing a rice cooker. They come in a variety of sizes, so choose one that works for your situation, whether you are cooking regularly for 1, 2 or 10 people. Many rice cookers also double as vegetable steamers and slow cookers. I’ve seen recipes for apple cake, paella and couscous cereal – all prepared in a rice cooker. Most models come with a recipe book, which will introduce you to the possibilities and the basics regarding proper settings. Look for models with a non-stick surface for easy cleaning and a clear glass lid for monitoring progress. Basic models simply have an on/off button while more expensive models have bells and whistles such as “keep-warm” feature for up to 12 hours and timers that allow you to program a start time. The safest models include fuse protectors and indicator lights alerting you to progress.

Hope this helps!
    Kristen

Forums Ask an Expert Cooking Rice Cooker?

Replying to a Thread

To post a comment or reply >> Sign in