Chit Chat : In-Store Feedback

• Serous Situation with Sears Credit Card

• Hello,

I have a serious situation that I need a resolution. My mother-in-law had a stroke in March of 2013. She was hospitalized for a few weeks. She also has congestive heart failure and other health issues. On August 1st of 2013, my wife made my mother in laws minimal Sears Credit card payment at a local K-mart. About mid August she started receiving multiple calls a day insisting that she pay her over due bill which now included late fees. My wife and I have spent over 25 hours on the phone with many customer service reps from Sears and Citibank and the situation is still not resolved. It seems that the August payment was not posted until August 9th which is past the due date. We have sent via regular mail and fax the receipts, copies of the check and other information proving that the payment was made on the first. We were also required by Citi to have our bank send confirmation that the check was made and cashed. We did that 3 times. The information was lost by Citi. My mother-in-law is still getting multiple calls per day from the collections department. They have asked her to sell her car and mortgage her home to make this small payment to citi. She does not own a home. The threats caused her to have to be rushed the hospital on one occasion and have paramedics come to the house on another. We have “begged” citi and sears to discontinue the assaults explaining my mother-in-laws health. They ignored our pleas. This entire situation started with an error by K-mart, Sears, and/or Citi in the first place. It is now November, my mother-in-law is again in the hospital with cardiac arrest. It was a very close call this time. The calls continue each day. My wife and I continue to try to get the situation resolve. Citi has admitted the mistake and credited the August late fee. However, they continue to add late fees each month because of the late fee and associated interest and penalties from August. By the way, this started over an $80 payment that was made on time. We are at our wits end. I have contacted an attorney and he has asked for contact person at sears and citi group. I would rather not go down that route, but I will hold Sears responsible for my mother-in-laws recent decline in health due the constant harassment. This is a very real situation which we have fully documented. Please help us. Thank you.

(To reply to any topic or comment, you must Sign in)
  • Hi there, erdjrapp! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so sorry to hear of all the heartache the problems you have had with that payment confusion. Unfortunately, because the Sears Card is affiliated with Citibank, we are unable to assist.

I sincerely hope things work out and your mother-in-law feels well soon.

Take Care!

Hi there, erdjrapp! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so sorry to hear of all the heartache the problems you have had with that payment confusion. Unfortunately, because the Sears Card is affiliated with Citibank, we are unable to assist.

I sincerely hope things work out and your mother-in-law feels well soon.

Take Care!

Well, I actually think this does have something to do with Sears. I am not actually looking for assistance at this point. I looking to file a formal complaint and have my attorney contact the appropriate authorities at Sears. First of all, the issue started with K-mart, which is owned by Sears, screwing up the billing and not getting it posted on the correct date. That could be a problem with the K-mart store or it could be a problem with the Sears systems. I have heard from others that they had similar problems with late postings. I wonder if this could become a class action case against Sears and Citibank. In any case, my mother in law passed away on Tuesday. It is a CRIME that she had to receive at least one abusive call, from your affiliates Citibank, each of her last 90 days of her life. I suggest that you find a way for Sears to “assist me”. Again, I am requesting contact information of the appropriate authorities at Sears.

Forums Chit Chat In-Store Feedback Serous Situation wit...

Replying to a Thread

To post a comment or reply >> Sign in