Ask an Expert : Appliance Repair

• Top burner inside oven not working

• When I set my oven to bake, only the bottom burner lights. The top igniter sparks once, but it’s burner doesn’t light. There is also a gas smell while preheating and baking.

When I set the oven to broil, the top igniter sparks once and the burner doesn’t light, just as with bake. But then it sparks a second time and the burner does light.

Please let me know what the issue might be or how to troubleshoot it. Thanks.

(To reply to any topic or comment, you must Sign in)
  • Hi there, bapublic81! Welcome to MySears! I think an Appliance Expert can diagnose the issue you are having with your oven and offer a tip or two for a DIY repair.

An Expert will visit shortly with an answer. Once he posts, I will send you an email which will include a link back to this thread so you can view the response.

Thanks!

Hi bapublic81,
    It would sound like there is a issue with the alignment of the spark nodule to the burner. The fact that the unit will sometimes light on the second spark means it is out of alignment or the gas supply tube is clogged and the gas supply is restricted somewhat. Nake sure the shut off valve lever is fully in line with the supply tube. If the suggestions fail to clear up the problem I would recommend you call 1-800-424-2047 and have a gas technician out to repair the oven. Bill

I just had a new compressor installed on my 2 year old kenmore fridge yesterday and it still isn’t working. I understand this is the weekend and they can’t send a tech out till tues. 12/17th. This was supposed to be fixed right? This is a unit that is only 2 years old. Did I buy a lemon? model#10672002010…I understand the part number has changed for this model which means that Sears had a problem with the compressor in the past. I have already missed two days of work and have paid for the extra warranty 279.99 then was charged another 380.75…and it still doesn’t work. I will now have to take off work on the 17th for another tech to come out. Will I be charged again for more repair? Should I unplug the unit till the 17th as to not incur anymore pointless electricity usage? Please help! C. Hoffman

Hi cbear1156,

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.

To help you further on this issue I am putting you in contact with our Sears Cares team. They will be able to help in assisting by providing you with a dedicate case manager who will work with you until resolved.

Please know that I will be reaching out via email once our team responds directing you back for contact.

Your concerns are very important to us, and we thank you for sharing your feedback with us on this matter.

cbear1156,

Thank you for taking time to inform us about your recent experience with the service to you refrigerator. . We apologize for any frustrations you have experienced with trying to get service for your refrigerator, and understand of having a functioning refrigerator in today’s home. My name is Kurt with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to look into this matter and have a case manager address any concerns you may have with your heater. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (cbear1156), you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
    Kurt M.
    MySears Community Moderator

cbear1156,

Thank you for taking time to inform us about your recent experience with the service to you refrigerator. . We apologize for any frustrations you have experienced with trying to get service for your refrigerator, and understand of having a functioning refrigerator in today’s home. My name is Kurt with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to look into this matter and have a case manager address any concerns you may have with your heater. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (cbear1156), you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
    Kurt M.

Well the repair to the repaired compressor was successful, last guy made multiple mistakes. But, now the water is not coming out of the water dispenser inside of the fridge and no ice. Checked for kinks in the line. I know the other tech said he cleaned out the grommet of the water line because it was leaking but said he fixed it. So now I have to take off a fourth day of work to receive another repair guy. Not a very Merry Christmas.

Hi cbear1156,

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.

To help you further on this issue I am putting you in contact with our Sears Cares team. They will be able to help in assisting by providing you with a dedicate case manager who will work with you until resolved.

Please know that I will be reaching out via email once our team responds directing you back for contact.

Your concerns are very important to us, and we thank you for sharing your feedback with us on this matter.

Compressor fixed but now no water dispenser and no ice. Not a Merry Christmas. Now I have to take off a fourth day of work.

cbear1156,

Thank you,
    Kurt M.

Well the repair to the repaired compressor was successful, last guy made multiple mistakes. But, now the water is not coming out of the water dispenser inside of the fridge and no ice. Checked for kinks in the line. I know the other tech said he cleaned out the grommet of the water line because it was leaking but said he fixed it. So now I have to take off a fourth day of work to receive another repair guy. Not a very Merry Christmas.
    [/quote]

Hi cbear! I hope you will reach out to the SearsCares team through the email provided above. They will do what they can to help.

Thanks!

After nearly a month, my fridge is finally fixed. The water valve was not hooked back up after compressor replacement. Just glad this costly nightmare is over (crossing my fingers) It took four appointments and three repair guys to fix one two year old refrigerator.

Hi cbear1156,

We appreciate you stopping back in and updating us on your status. I am happy to hear that your fridge is fully operating. Please continue to keep us posted if you have any further concerns.

Thank you!

Forums Ask an Expert Appliance Repair Top burner inside ov...

Replying to a Thread

To post a comment or reply >> Sign in