New Year, New Attitude

(Please note, this is a guest blog post from EPA ENERGY STAR®.*)

Every year I join countless Americans in making a New Year’s Resolution. Usually my goals revolve around two main topics—losing weight and saving money. I have had some success–and an equal amount of failure every single time. Luckily I am not alone. According to studies by psychologist Richard Wiseman, 52 percent of resolution makers were confident that they would achieve their goals—yet only 12 percent actually succeeded. According to Wiseman the difference is in how they went about accomplishing their goals. Those who set defined goals and told their friends and family about it were the most likely to succeed. In addition Wiseman found that revisiting previous goals was often a recipe for disappointment. Lastly, this study found that those who make only one resolution fair much better than those with a long list of lofty ideas.

Today I have a challenge for you. Instead of saying once again that you plan on getting into the best shape of your life in the new year, how about focusing your resolution on saving energy—and money—in 2012? Let’s focus this challenge even further. How about you pick just one energy saving goal and vow to stick to it all year. From turning off the lights when you leave the room to always looking for the ENERGY STAR when you shop, there are plenty of easy changes to pick from. Your resolution will help you save money on your utility bills and help protect our environment.

If you need some help let ENERGY STAR lead the way. Take our pledge at http://www.energystar.gov/changetheworld and pick your energy saving goal. The ENERGY STAR website has everything you need to make a difference in saving energy, including lots of good tips on the interactive @Home tool:  http://1.usa.gov/buzMfq.

So, what is your New Year’s Resolution?

* This is a guest post from EPA ENERGY STAR®. Sears’ environmental commitment and our partnership with ENERGY STAR makes it easy for you to choose sustainable products that not only save you money, but make a difference. Join us in the fight against climate change. Whether for your home, business, school, or community, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s ENERGY STAR program has the tools & resources you need to save energy. Learn more at www.energystar.gov or www.energystar.gov/changetheworld or follow us on Twitter at @ENERGYSTAR.

Disclosure Statement

This is a blog written by Brittney Gordon. Sears did not compensate her to write this blog or to say particular things in it. The views and opinions expressed in this blog are purely her own.

For information on sustainability initiatives at Sears Holdings, visit our Environmental Sustainability website and follow @EnviroSears on Twitter.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.