The 3-Day Juice Cleanse

If you should know anything about me, it’s that I love food. I care about my health, and I take care of my body and ensure that I’m active enough to kill anything that might be harmful to my body if eaten in excess.

I first learned the benefits of juicing while watching the documentary “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead,” where Joe Cross turned his life around and lost 202 pounds with a juice-only diet. The many benefits associated with juicing, like weight loss, clearer skin and better sleep were attractive to me. I wanted to try it, but wasn’t sure how I’d do on a liquid-only diet for a full three days. Still, I ambitiously decided to power through it, and it completely changed my life.

Which Produce to Begin With

When you’re shopping for produce, all of your options can get overwhelming. If you’ve never juiced before, it’s important to consider that it takes a ton of fresh produce to even get one full glass of juice, so I always suggest shopping in bulk.

Many beginner juicers make the mistake of juicing only fruits because they’re sweet and often taste better than the greener alternative. If you’re doing a 3-day cleanse and won’t have access to anything other than your juices, it’s important to ensure you’re still getting a lot of protein. Usually, the rule of thumb is that the more green and purple you shop for, the more protein you’re going to get. Juice green and purple asparagus, kale, broccoli (stalks included), spinach, and sweet potatoes.

If too many veggies make your juice bitter and hard to enjoy, add a few apples for sweetness.

How to Curb Hunger Attacks

One of the biggest struggles you’ll have on a 3-day cleanse is staying disciplined. Drinking juice for breakfast, lunch and dinner is difficult when everyone around you is eating whatever they please. If you’re out and about, whether at work or running errands, I suggest making your juices in advance and filling mason jars (or any canisters) with enough to get you through the day. I label my jars with times just to keep me motivated. When you know you get to sip a new flavor combination every couple of hours, it can really help you through. And, because the juices are so full of produce and are thicker than processed juices you’d buy from the store, the thickness and natural pulps are actually quite filling.

By: Carla Canham

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.