Sears Gives Back with DIY-Expert Ty Pennington

Booker T. Washington once said, “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”  This year, Sears is cultivating an attitude of service and paying it forward by lending a helping hand with local community projects. Together with the nonprofit Rebuilding Together and the handsome do-gooder, Ty Pennington, Sears Home Services is participating in the renovation of three local homes and helping to transform an old church into the new Tampa Heights Community Center.

As a woman who chose to forgo three consecutive spring break trips during college to travel down to New Orleans and help with post-Hurricane Katrina rebuilds, I was overcome with a heart of gratitude when I heard that the company I work for was launching such an amazing and gracious initiative. Today, Sears is redefining what it means to think globally and act locally. What’s even more powerful is not the incredible reality that we’ve gathered over 80 volunteers to spearhead this project, but that our charitable efforts are actually measurable in a right-up-there-with-Oprah-Winfrey kind of way. Once it’s complete, the Tampa Heights Community Center will teach computer skills, encourage healthy eating habits and provide innovative learning opportunities to over 200 underprivileged children. After Tampa, the initiative will continue in other communities around the country including the Sacramento, Chicago and Philadelphia areas.

As if that isn’t enough, we acknowledge that community work can’t be done without community support. To kick off National Hiring Month, Sears Home Services is setting out to create jobs for over 1,000 people. So, whether binge-watching home improvement TV shows has empowered you to strap on your tool belt and get to work, or you’re a self-proclaimed project-professional, there are available career opportunities ranging from product repair service technicians to project consultants. Sears is committed to making a big difference at the local level, starting with a profound effort to build community where it’s needed most.

If you’re anything like me and hearing about the good work that’s to come with the “Building Community Together” initiative leaves your heart open and overflowing with awe and inspiration, you can visit Facebook.com/SearsHomeServices to track progress and view photos. And follow us on Twitter at @BlueServiceCrew or #BlueCrewCommunity.

—Carla Canham, Sears Holdings Co.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.