Sears Holdings Military Veteran Profile of the Month: Omar Choudhury

Sears Holdings employs over 30,000 military veterans, with 1,500 still in the National Guard & Reserves. We have a policy that will even pay the difference between their military and civilian pay when they’re called into active duty, so they’re not penalized for serving our country. Over the last 17 months, we’ve hired more than 5,100 veterans. Meet one of the veterans we hired last year…

Omar ChoudhuryOmar Choudhury

What did you do in the military?

I graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., in 2003 with a degree in Computer Science. Following graduation, I entered the nuclear power pipeline and attended Naval Nuclear Power School in Charleston, S.C. I left active duty in the summer of 2004 and returned home to Paterson, N.J. due to a death in the family. I joined The Hertz Corporation as a Station Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport, overseeing the day to day frontline operations of this busy airport facility. During my second year with Hertz, I was selected for the Advanced Management Development Program (AMDP), which developed future general managers for the company’s airport operations.

What do you do for Sears Holdings?

I’m Assistant General Manager for the Jacksonville Regional Replenishment Center.  The most important factor that attracted me to Sears Holdings was the ability to advance my career quickly based on merit. I started at the Garland, Texas Regional Replenishment Center in August 2007 as a management trainee and rotated through the various operating departments at the distribution center. Currently, I am an Operations Manager overseeing the day to day outbound operations.

Omar ChoudhuryWhen did you come to Sears Holdings?

I was hired by Sears Holdings at a Service Academy Career Conference in 2007.

What have you learned from the transition?     

I learned how to manage under pressure in the military and this experience has been extremely valuable to my Sears career. Too often, leaders have a tendency to go into crisis mode once something unplanned happens. Military officers quickly learn that no matter how well planned the mission, something inevitably will go wrong and it is up to the leader to adjust to the changing environment and carry on. When something goes wrong, I have learned that I cannot overreact. Instead, I have to prioritize the tasks at hand, solve one problem at a time and move on.

Note: In the last 5 years, Sears has stood behind our military and veterans. In that time we’ve raised more than $33 million and helped more than 114,000 military and veteran families. Our Heroes at Home program, in partnership with Rebuilding Together, has rebuilt more than 1,365 homes for Wounded Warriors. The Wish Registry has raised more than $18 million for 105,000 active, guard, and reserve military families. Here is a video of some of that support of the Wish Registry from earlier this year.

To learn more about Heroes at Home visit: www.sears.com/heroesathome

Heroes from previous months:

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Wonderful profile! Proud to be a part of an organization who employs so many veterans. Thanks for sharing your story, Omar!

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.