Sears Holdings Military Veteran Profile of the Month: Shannon Kelly

Sears Holdings employs over 30,000 military veterans, with 1,500 still in the National Guard & Reserves. We have a policy that will even pay the difference between their military and civilian pay when they’re called into active duty, so they’re not penalized for serving our country. Over the last 17 months, we’ve hired more than 5,100 veterans. Meet one of the veterans we hired last year…

Shannon Kelly

Military Career: Ordnance Officer, 4th Infantry Division
Sears Career: General Manager for the Pendergrass Distribution Center

What did you do in the military?
I served two tours to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom with the 4th Infantry Division, based out of Ft. Hood, Texas. I held the positions of Ordnance Officer, Battalion Maintenance Officer, Battalion Personnel Officer, Brigade Maintenance Officer, Brigade Engineer and Brigade Assistant Planner.

Shannon Kelly in Iraq 2008What do you do for Sears?
I am the General Manager for the Pendergrass Distribution Center, which is a Large Appliance Direct Delivery Center. My facility handles the delivery of roughly 1.4 million large appliances annually.

When did you come to Sears Holdings?
I have been with the company for a little over 3 years. I started my career with Sears in Dallas, Texas as an Operations Manager after I transitioned out of the Army in 2010.

What have you learned from the transition?
I have learned that regardless of industry, logistics and a strong supply chain are the backbone of a successful organization.

Note: In the last 5 years, Sears has stood behind our military and veterans. In that time we’ve raised more than $33 million and helped more than 110,000 military and veteran families. Our Heroes at Home program, in partnership with Rebuilding Together, has rebuilt more than 1,365 homes for Wounded Warriors. The Wish Registry has raised more than $18 million for 105,000 active, guard, and reserve military families. Here is a video of some of that support of the Wish Registry from earlier this year.

Heroes from previous months:

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.