Sears is dedicated to military hiring
Almost a year to the day following the passing of the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, the unemployment rate among veterans has dropped to 7.2% in 2012*, the lowest the current administration has seen.
Sears, a company that is dedicated to military hiring and initiatives such as VOW, helped spike that number by making more than 4,440 military hires in the past year alone.
One such Sears military hire is John Pokos, a former Marine Staff Sergeant whose father has been with Sears for over 30 years. John has quickly become an integral part of the Inventory Management team at the Sears corporate office and is a great example of how Sears fosters and develops former military service men and women.
Sears is one the nation’s strongest corporate supporters of U.S. Military Families – a tradition since World War I. Some of the many ways Sears is dedicated to military service members and their families include:
- Employment of more than 30,000 veterans, of which 1,500 are actively serving in the Reserve and National Guard.
- Ranking number 14 on the list of Top Military Employers.
- Offering military pay differential to full-time associates who are reservists, serving on active duty.
- Partnering with the White House initiative, Joining Forces Mentoring Plus™, a national e-mentoring program connecting women veterans and military spouses with professional women to navigate the path to success in the civilian workplace.
- Affiliating with Rebuilding Together, to renovate more than 1,100 homes of injured veterans.
- Supporting active-duty soldiers during the holidays by accepting donations in-store and online through the Heroes at Home Wish Registry.
*According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Oct. 2012 data