Avoiding Holiday Appliance Emergencies
Appliance emergencies are the last thing you want to deal with during the holidays, especially with a house full of guests. Whether it’s refrigerator problems or oven issues, here are some tips for troubleshooting appliance problems during the holidays.
Sab ON code: Ovens with a Sabbath Mode override features of modern ovens that do not conform to a kosher home’s needs. This includes any auto-shutoff feature for energy conservation/fire prevention. The oven in Sabbath Mode may display a code such as Sab ON. To cancel it, try one of the following methods:
- Press and hold down the CLOCK button for five seconds.
- Refer to the owner’s manual for the numerical cancellation code. Enter the code on the oven’s keypad
- Press COOK TIME and DELAY START at same time, waiting three seconds before releasing.
Unlocking the oven door: When an oven door is locked and the self-cleaning cycle is not running, you can unlock the door by pressing the STOP/CLEAR button. Next, start the self-cleaning cycle. Wait one minute and then press STOP/CLEAR again. The door should unlock.
Oven door locked in open position: You can’t cook a holiday ham with the oven door locked in an open position. Fix this problem by pushing in the plunger switch, located inside the door opening. Next, begin the oven’s self-cleaning cycle while still pressing in the plunger switch. Wait 60 seconds and then hit STOP/CLEAR. This should unlock the door, allowing you to close it as normal.
Locked door: It’s hard to set a beautiful holiday table if the dishes are locked inside the dishwasher. To unlock the door, press and hold the HEATED DRY key for five seconds. This should trigger a release. If the door doesn’t unlock, it may be a defective control.
Not cooling/Demo Mode: A refrigerator that is on but not cooling may be stuck in Demo Mode. The method for turning off the Demo Mode varies by model. Refer to your owner’s manual or try one of these fixes:
- Unplug the refrigerator for 60 seconds. Plug it back in.
- Press and hold the HOME and HELP keys simultaneously for five seconds.
- Open the refrigerator door. Press and hold the ICE PLUS/ULTRA ICE and REFRIGERATOR TEMP keys simultaneously for five seconds. Door must be open for this method.
- Press and hold the ICE PLUS/ULTRA ICE key, followed by the UP/DOWN key for five seconds.
- Press and hold the EXPRESS FREEZE and REFRIGERATOR TEMP CONTROL keys simultaneously for five seconds.