Easter Weekend Planning Tips

For the first time in as long as I can remember, Easter is greeting us already in mid-spring. As one of America’s favorite family holidays, there’s much to look forward to with the warmer weather this year.  Easter egg dying and hunting, family photos and a yummy brunch all sound good to me! Having a spic and span home at the end of the weekend? Now you’re talking bliss!

Family portrait

With the gorgeous scenery outdoors this weekend is the perfect time to update your family photograph. Coordinate the gang’s Sunday Bests and choose a location with lots of greenery and blooming flowers. Use a tripod and a self-timer or get a friend to take the photo for you. It’s always a good idea to get a few practice shots out of the way, but you might also try something like a group mid-air jump or shoot immediately after a goofy face contest to get the most natural smiles out of everyone.

Easter egg hunting

If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to hold your hunts outside this year! Plan ahead by scoping out the landscape, and list or map out each hiding place that’s appropriate for the ages of your children. Do you have older kids or a case of sibling rivalry? Add a symbol to each egg denoting who it is intended for and cut out the fights.

Easter egg dying

Dying techniques have come a long way since we were kids. I’ll be hitting the thrift store in search of silk ties and blouses to use. It’s been shown that the more kids learn about vegetables the likelier they are to eat them. How about using vegetables as a natural dye for your eggs this year? Whatever method you choose, dying eggs is a tradition that the whole family can participate in.

Brunch, anyone?

Let the kids share their egg hunting stories over a memorable brunch. Spring vegetables taste great with breakfast! Like scrambled eggs? Add cream cheese and asparagus for a bright and fluffy change. If you’re cooking for a large group try a chorizo and egg casserole topped with bright slices of fresh avocado. If you’re looking for something a little less spicy, try adding sautéed Vidalia onions and fresh green peas to a bacon and mushroom omelet.

Spring cleaning

Work off brunch and freshen up your home with a little spring cleaning. Open the windows, turn up the radio, and get to work! It’s easy to get the kids involved by giving them their own chore to complete on their own as well as giving them assistant roles to help you with the big stuff. They’ll learn to take pride maintaining their home and you’ll have less to do yourself! Picking and tidying up are great for the real little guys. As they get older move them on to bigger tasks like sweeping out the garage, dusting the bedrooms, or cleaning the bathroom counters. Windows are good jobs to use their assistance with; they can clean the areas they can reach, and then assist you with supplies for the taller windows requiring ladders or stepstools.

Gardening and planting

It’s not too late to start that garden you’ve always dreamed of. How about a raised bed planted with veggies? Manage My Life has great ideas for gardening in raised beds, or you can build your own planter. The kids will love getting their hands dirty, and will cheer on the growing vegetables and gladly welcome them to their plate.

However you choose to spend your Easter weekend, I hope it brings you the best spring and family have to offer.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.