How to Keep a New Year’s Resolution

New Year's resolutionsAs the excitement of the holidays begins to settle down, the looming resolutions of a new year take precedence. Does anyone ever really keep those resolutions? If changes are desired, here are some tips to help.

Schedule it. Whether the intention is to fit in a workout, eat healthier or devote more time to family, it must be scheduled. If goals are not planned for on a daily basis, the likelihood of them actually happening is slim. Taking the time to schedule goals keeps them front and center, increasing the chance that they stick. Post-it notes, planners, white boards, whatever the preferred method of organization may be, schedule those new goals.

Prioritize it. This goes along with scheduling. Like the saying goes, if you want something you have never had, you have to do something you have never done. If new goals are not given priority, then old patterns will quickly slip back into place. Life may need to be set up differently in order to make changes and form new habits.

Make it accountable. Accountability is why forums and support groups are constantly popping up across the nation. Having someone else working toward the same goals provides support and enthusiasm. A little healthy competition can motivate you to achieve and do more than you would on your own. Get family and friends on board with your new goals.

Visualize it. It may be challenging at first, but a great tip is to visualize your desired goal as already achieved. With practice, this will become easier. For instance, instead of thinking about all the weight that you need to lose, you could visualize yourself already at your goal weight. How does it feel to be at that weight? How are things different after your goal has been achieved? This will help you get some perspective on what needs to be done in order to achieve your goal.

Just do it. You can plan, visualize, and even have a solid support system, but with no action, little change will take place. If weight loss is your goal, take that walk. Want more money? Sit down and plan out how it will be acquired. Taking even a couple small steps each day can have a huge impact on how the year ahead shapes up. Think of two to three things that can be implemented today to make your dreams come true.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. To visualize it is important. So it you are a writer, tell people when they ask what you do. I like to post my favorite High-rise in L.Beach on my desk to give me motivation. Of-course that is my dream home when I make it.
    This one is a bit risky, but has worked for me. Tell people your profession & look forward to your publication- by telling them about your work. I often will even buy a purchase....& will make a bet that I'll pay it off by the time my next article is sold. And I always try to look my best when I go out, as now I have been asked if I am an author. If you want a new job, then go look. Their is an old saying: " If you keep pestering them, surely they will most likely offer you the job.

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.