A Fabulous Kitchen!

kitchen designNow and then it’s fun to take a peek inside a fabulous kitchen! I’m your tour guide today, as I show you the VERY cool New York City kitchen of Bronson van Wyck.

One thing you need to know about New York City apartments – viewing them is truly a sport – people in New York LOVE to see other apartments to get design and (particularly) storage ideas in an effort to maximize every fraction of an inch of these small spaces.

That said, this kitchen is larger than normal kitchen for a New York City apartment. I couldn’t wait to see it!

Custom kitchen design with built in range and hoodThe apartment is warm, it’s modern, it’s edgy, and it’s very comfortable. But more than that, it’s clearly a personal aesthetic, defined by its owner – and that is the real secret weapon to a successful kitchen renovation: express yourself!

The kitchen has a fantastic energy. Some of that energy is felt by wonderful windows looking out on a bustling city view. The appliances are all Electrolux Icon appliances.

By exploiting the height of the tall ceiling, the cooking center becomes the focal point of the kitchen. It’s one of my favorite design elements, to create a hood from the surrounding wall material, in this case, what else, subway tile! The range is a perfect fit.

The use of open shelves is both useful and visually interesting. It also opens up the kitchen.

built in refrigerator in a custom kitchenThe island is a rugged (and rustic) piece of furniture, perfect for doubling countertop workspace. It serves as a gathering spot as well, ensuring guests remain safely out of the cook’s lanes of traffic.

The refrigerator really wowed me! I loved it! Talk about completely hiding an otherwise monolithic appliance, this refrigerator is completely hidden and undetectable. Don’t you love the chalkboard?

If you look at the wall on the right in the first image above (and don’t miss that cool speed oven built in on the right of the image) you can see that the entire wall has been built to house appliances and cabinetry in a recessed design.

The “New York” theme is evident in the creative use of tile, a subtle industrial look, yet, one cannot deny there is abundant warmth in this kitchen. The pot rack is a classic New York storage solution, and just look at those pots-they’re gorgeous!

And finally, a few entertaining tips from Bronson:

• Even in the best of times, the simplest themes are the best themes. During the holidays, people have enough on their plates without having to worry about costumes. Save your Renaissance masquerade ball for an off month.
  • You can never have too many candles. Nothing kills the mood like harsh overhead lighting. Colored votives add quick color and sparkle.
  • Home-style accents add a personal touch to any party. When winter arrives, I love to serve something seasonal like my great-grandmother’s eggnog recipe – it has enough bourbon in it to thaw any frost! 

For more kitchen y goodness, visit me at The Kitchen Designer blog, on Twitter and on Facebook!

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.