Fall Closet Organization Tips

Woman-in-closetWhen it begins to feel cooler in the early morning and the sunshine looks paler during the day, you know that fall is on the way. This is a good time to organize your closet so you can choose an outfit quickly and effortlessly each morning. Here are some tips for organizing your closet for fall.

Donate or sell summer clothes you haven’t worn

If there are one or more T-shirts, skirts or shorts you haven’t worn at all this summer, chances are they’re not right for you. It could be that their color or style doesn’t really suit you or that the garment doesn’t fit well enough. Whatever the reason, it’s time to let go of all those summer clothes you no longer wear. Also, take this opportunity to get rid of the summer clothes you won’t be able to wear next year because of rips, stains or other defects.

Decide which summer clothes you can wear in fall

If you can extend the use of at least a few items of summer clothing, you’ll get more wear out of them and save money on buying new clothes. For example, could you team a longer length summer skirt with a long-sleeved top and pantyhose in the fall? Or, perhaps you could wear a short-sleeved summer top underneath a jacket on a warmer fall day?

Metaphor-women's-cardiganPack clothes you won’t wear until next summer

All summer clothes that can’t be worn in the fall, such as halter neck tops, shorts and sun hats, should be packed away until next spring.

Bring out mid-season items and hang them

Mid-season items include light-weight tops with three-quarter or long sleeves, cotton sweaters for cooler days and mid-season pants. Hang them up with the summer clothes that you will still be able to wear in the fall.

Arrange all items by type and color

Hang all of your tops together and arrange them by color. Do the same for your jackets, pants, skirts and other types of clothing. You’ll then find it quicker and easier to put together a coordinated outfit each morning.

Find accessories that go with your fall outfits

Look through your closet for belts, scarves, handbags and other accessories in colors that will go with at least two of your fall outfits. Scarves are useful fall accessories because they add extra interest and warmth to almost any outfit. If the temperature rises, you can easily take your scarf off. Organize all your accessories by type and color, so you’ll be able to easily team them with an outfit.

Identify gaps in your closet

Metaphor-women's-blazerDecide how many of each type of item you’ll need for fall, considering your lifestyle. For example, if you work full-time in an office, you’ll probably need at least three business suits, but if you work from home, you’ll probably dress more casually on most days. Then, look through your closet to see if you have enough of each type of item. If not, make a list of the clothes you need to buy.

Go shopping for new clothes

Once you’ve identified the clothes you need for fall, it’s time to go shopping. If you’re on budget, look for multi-purpose items that coordinate well with clothes that you already have. For example, a new fall dress could look smart when worn underneath a jacket for work and more casual when teamed with a cardigan on the weekend.

A well-organized closet will help you to get ready more quickly in the morning and will mean that you can always put together an outfit that’s appropriate for the season.

-Roz Andrews

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Great tips! I re-organize my closets like clockwork!

Once it starts getting a little colder outside I like to be able to just reach into my closet and grab what I will be wearing for the day.

Now if I can just get the rest of the family on board with re-organizing their closets!

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.