Home + Housewares Show: Chef Morimoto

From March 6-8, I will be at the International Home + Housewares Show looking for the latest in products and trends. Get my nightly recaps here at MySears.

Today was my first day at the International Home + Housewares Show, and I am already exhausted! My first thought when I walked in was, “Wow, this is the coolest and biggest housewares mall I’ve ever been in!” I felt like a kid at Christmas, sourrounded by hundreds of thousands of shiny, colorful gadgets I never knew I needed – until now.

I started the morning tagging along with buyers from one vendor meeting to the next. It only took a few trips between the Lakeside and South buildings at McCormick place for me to start regretting wearing heels – albeit low ones.

So around noon, I politely excused myself and headed off to see the really fun stuff: celebrity chefs doing demonstrations in the Cooking Theatre. I got there just in time to see Masaharu Morimoto, best known as the Japanese chef on the Food Network’s “Iron Chef America” show.

First up on the menu: Tuna pizza.

Tuna Pizza

Morimoto used his new line of single-bevel knives to cut fat slices of dark red tuna, which he placed on a crispy tortilla, topped with raw onions and a generous portion of spicy anchovy aioli.

Next came a daikon radish salad with smoked salmon. Chef Morimoto showed off his ability to peel a continuous, fine layer of daichon with his knife, despite forgetting his reading glasses today. “If you want to look cool at house party, make this,” he said with a chuckle. Followed by, “If you want to practice better, buy my book.”

Daichon

He rolled up the daichon and cut into strips like pasta, soaked them in an ice bath, and then tossed with salt, pepper and dressing. Served with thin slices of smoked salmon on the side.

The final products looked delicious (and I’m still wondering who got to eat them?):

Morimoto dishes

Chef Morimoto also gave a short tutorial on how to sharpen knives on a sharpening stone (pictured on the cutting board above), using water not oil. Japanese knives like his, he said, must always be sharpened on a stone and not using a sharpening steel.

The best part of all: Just when the audience thought the show was over, Morimoto surprised everyone by suddenly declaring that, as a Japanese person, he loves karaoke. And he launched into this song.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.