Remodeling a Master Bathroom for a Spa Look

My wife and I recently got back from a trip to a vacation spa. It was a gift from friends, and a much needed respite from our lives of late. Of course, when we got home we immediately started wishing we could re-create the relaxing feel of the spa in our own home. This is especially true of our master bathroom, which has no windows, and felt utilitarian. However, hiring a contractor to do a full remodeling of a bathroom can cost up to $10,000. If you’re like me, you probably don’t have that kind of money just lying around. But, I’m never one to give up on a DIY makeover.

I figure, if you can’t afford a spa getaway every weekend, why not bring the spa to your home? Here are some easy ways to give your master bathroom a more relaxing atmosphere. If you have a drill, this project is well within your reach. Best of all, you can get it done in a weekend!

• Paint can work wonders. I’ve said it before, but a fresh coat of paint will change the character of a room entirely. For a cooler, more relaxing mood select from hues in the blue, green or aqua ends of the spectrum. We went painted over our off-white walls with teal, transforming our windowless bathroom into a soothing sanctuary.
  • Changing out your fixtures will quickly turn around the look of your bathroom. In our case, we also had a couple of non-matching spots. The towel racks were the same finish, but the faucet was another style entirely! We decided to dress up our bathroom by replacing all fixtures with brushed-copper ones. Other popular finishes include chrome and brushed nickel. You’ll be surprised at the difference, and they’re easier to install than you might think. A lot of towel racks, for example, come with guides to help you measure the distance you’ll need to drill holes for mounting plates.
  • Replacing the shower rod might sound redundant or unnecessary. But in the case of a DIY remodel, I recommend changing out your existing curtain rod, which is most likely straight, with a curved rod. It’s an easy and affordable way to give yourself a roomier shower. You can gain almost an extra foot of space inside the shower!
  • If you have a small, stock medicine cabinet, I strongly urge you to ditch it and replace it with a large bathroom mirror instead. I know what you’re thinking. I was skeptical when my wife cooked up this scheme. But, it turns out, most of what we had in the medicine cabinet could be consolidated into the bathroom vanity. The larger mirror we installed opened up the space above the sink, reflects more light and make the rooms look larger.
  • Last, but not least, replace your bathroom towel set. Most likely, you’re due for a change anyway. We put the old towels in the guest bath and bought all-white towels, to finish off our spa theme. They look great with the blue-green walls, too.

Have you made any DIY improvements you can add to this list? We’d love to hear any of your ideas on changing the look and feel of your master bathroom.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Great ideas! Especially the shower rod idea. We can easily do that at our house!

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.