Sweet Dreams – How to Shop for a Mattress

Mattress Shopping Guide1. Shop for the Right Mattress Type:

• Firm Mattress: A sturdy hard mattress is optimal for stomach sleepers. If you find you doze off on your stomach, you need more support. The give of a soft or plush mattress is harmful for your back.
  • Soft Mattress: A variety of brands and manufacturers make soft mattresses or plush mattresses, as they are also called. This style of mattress is ideal for side and back sleepers. If you’re constantly rolling from your side to your back to your side again in the night, you want your mattress to give to your body. Your side and back support your body, so your mattress should cushion you as you sleep.
  • Pillow Top Mattress: These extra plush mattresses are super soft. Made by several mattress brands, pillowtop mattresses are greatfor back sleepers. With the extra cushion, your body will sink into the mattress as you drift off to sleep – getting just the right amount of support to keep you from waking up with that nagging crick in your neck.

2. Shop for the Right Mattress Size:
So now you’ve decided what type of mattress is good for you…it’s time to pick out the size. Consider these two things when shopping for mattresses.

• What is the size of the bedroom? You want your bed to fit comfortably in your room, so be sure to really think about space.
  • Who is going to be using the bed? If you’re shopping for a mattress for a couple, consider opting for a queen size mattress or king size mattress. A bigger bed allows for plenty of space for both sleepers.
  • If you’re shopping for a single or a smaller room, consider a twin size mattress or a full size mattress.

Keep in mind these are the standard mattress dimensions – be sure to break out that tape measure!

• Twin Mattresses: A twin mattress is 39 in. by 75 in. long
  • Extra Long Twin Mattress: A twin extra long mattress in 39 in. by 80 in. long
  • Double Mattresses: A double mattress, or full mattress, is 54 in. by 75 in. long
  • Queen Mattresses: A queen mattress is 60 in. by 80 in. long
  • King Mattresses: A king mattress is 76 in. by 80 in. long

3. Testing Tips when Shopping for a Mattress:

• When you’re shopping for a mattress, be sure to lay on it in the same way that you sleep.
  • If you’re shopping for a mattress for a couple, bring your partner with on the shopping trip so you can test it out together.

4. Maintenance on your Mattress:
Once you’ve shopped smart and found the mattress of your dreams, be sure to treat it nice! Even out wear and tear by rotating the mattress each season.

With so many choices confronting us, you’ll be amply rewarded by spending a little more time up front doing your homework on mattresses before you commit your money. You’ll be more likely to find the right bed for you; a bed that hopefully you’ll be sleeping in for years. Already have a mattress that you love? Share your mattress review with the Sears community!

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Well come to find out I was looking for the right mattress after all. Just was my luck as well......my friends daughter had just bought the mattress that I had been looking at. Since they live about 50 miles away from me, I chose to stay a few nights. The daughter was gone and I was given her room as a guest room.........talking about getting to test a new mattress before you buy it.......this was a great opportunity!! I slept there those three nights and went and bought my mattress the next day!!! :-)

2. I had never once given any real thought to the purchase of a mattress, other than to make certain it was a firm mattress. Now, after reading this, and realizing I am a Side sleeper, the next mattress will definitely e a softer style. You'd have thought that after 72 years, I knew something about everything, but I guess I know a little about some things.

3. What is a Euro-top. It isn't mentioned in the article above.

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.