Tips for Traveling with Kids
Family travel shouldn’t make you shudder with fear, whether it’s a summer vacation or a holiday jaunt to see your loved ones. Although being in close quarters with young children for hours at a time may be exhausting for any parent, here are some helpful tips to see you through.
1. Because of carry on bag restrictions, Moms should carry an extra large shoulder purse or backpack. Slip in it extra snacks, diapers, disposable bibs, wet wipes and clothing.
2. Make sure the children have entertainment options while on the flight such as coloring books and crossword puzzles
3. To avoid air pressure problems, allow your child to suck on his bottle or if it’s a larger child, have some gum on hand to soothe tender ears.
4. Try to give yourself at least an hour and a half to go through security at the airport. Pack liquids, gels and aerosols in a 3.4 ounce (100ml) or smaller container. Those items must be in a single, clear, zip top plastic bag. It has to be quart sized and be sent through X-ray screening.
1. DVDs and audio books are your friend, during the road trips. Pop in the kids’ favorite television programs or books.
2. Carry a trash bag and wipes to keep the car neat after snack breaks. Every time you stop for gas, do a quick car clean up with the kids.
3. Break out the toys for the kids, one at a time. It keeps the cramped car neater and you don’t want the children to rush through playing them all at once.
4. Bring a first aid kit
5. Even if you rent a car, think about bringing your own car seats. You probably have a better and safer brand than the ones used at a rental place..
1. If you are traveling for more than six hours, think about booking a night train ride so the children can sleep while riding.
2. Children under age 2 ride for free on Amtrak. Up to two children between ages 2 and 15 may travel for 50 percent off, if they are with an adult. There are other restrictions so be sure to check Amtrak.com. Also, AAA offers train travel discounts as well, if you are a member.
Want to share your tips for traveling with kids. Write them in the Comments section below to share them with the community.