Vision Boards: Watch Your Goals Manifest!

It’s that time of year again. A new year means a new start. As we enter 2014, I’ve been thinking a lot about what exactly this year means for me: where I’ve been, what I’ve done, who I am, who I want to be, and how I’ll make it happen. Some of us might be more reflective in nature than others, but once a year people around the world sit down and vow to make life changes. While the idea of a bulleted list of resolutions seems funny to me, I do appreciate an almost-global effort to create a vision and an even more genuine effort to at least attempt to stick to it.

A few years back, in one of my many hours spent on social bookmarking sites, I saw a vision board and decided to make my own. Sitting down to evaluate my standing in life and my need to transform into what I already am had been a long time coming. These past few years have been a total whirlwind for me and, for many people, speaking about where you’ve been and what you’ve done is difficult.

A vision board is more than just your New Year’s resolutions, and so much more than a bulleted list of things you must become in order to live a fuller life. Your vision board should facilitate a deliberate and daily need for self-reflection.

How to Create Your First Vision Board

• Start by a rough pen-to-paper draft. Close your eyes and envision for a full ten minutes what you want your life to look like in the short-term. Write everything down, and be as specific as possible. What  car will you drive? What words do you want people to use to describe you? What’s your favorite mantra? What foods are you eating? How often do you work out? Remember: always be willing to surrender who you are for who you might become.
  • Gather plenty of magazines. Personally, I like to browse Oprah Magazine, because she’s a real guru for positive thinking and self-transformation, but any magazines work. Keep your initial draft/vision in mind, but pause whenever any words or images stand out.
  • Keep a folder with your clippings. Sometimes I spend a good week clipping words and images before I start arranging them on poster board.
  • Arrange your words and images on to a board. I set them out without pasting first and often try to arrange my clippings so that my board tells a story.
  • Paste! Frame! Hang! Hang your vision board in a place you’ll see on the daily. In order for your vision to manifest, you have to constantly reinforce your goals by reading your vision frequently.

By: Carla Canham

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.