What to Know About Ovens and Cooktops

The average consumer doesn’t know the difference between a conventional oven and convection, or the less-obvious differences between gas and electric ranges and cooktops. This guide highlights useful features, capabilities and information for you.

9 Fabulous Features

Dual convection cooking. Convection ovens circulate heated air to heat food more consistently, speed cooking, bake food more evenly and enhance multiple rack cooking. Kenmore’s Dual Convection feature has three heating elements and two variable speed fans to increase airflow, optimizing performance even when the oven is full.

Auto convection conversion. The auto convection conversion feature converts the normal baking time and temperature you to set to the recommended convection baking settings. The control alerts you with an audible tone and displays “CF” (Check Food) when it’s time to check the food to see if it is done.

The difference between a warming drawer and the Warm & Hold™ feature. A warming drawer is a separate drawer that keeps foods warm and moist. The Warm & Hold feature operates inside the oven, maintaining a 170°F temperature for up to 3 hours. You can use the Warm & Hold separately as a feature or to use it at the end of a time-baked function.

AirGuard™. This Kenmore exclusive feature minimizes oven odors in the kitchen. The odors pass through a heated catalyst that eliminates up to 85 percent of smoke and oven odors — even ones produced during self-cleaning. It’s convenient because there are no parts or accessories to replace and you can turn it off if desired. *Compared to Kenmore electric free-standing ranges without AirGuard™ system when measuring VOC emissions.

Select Clean® and Flex Clean cycle features. Select Clean is a self-clean cycle with three levels of cleaning for light, medium or heavily soiled ovens. Flex Clean is a self-clean cycle that allows you to set a cycle time from 2 to 4 hours in one-minute increments for example, 2:35 hours.

Slow cook. This cooktop feature cooks foods more slowly and at lower temperatures, producing cooking results similar to a slow cooker or Crock-Pot®.

Different burner sizes. Many cooktops let you control the burner size to best fit the pan sizes. Some gas cooktops offer an innovative triple burner design, which allows you to adjust both the flame diameter and heat output. Some electric cooktops offer a triple element that has three concentric rings sized to fit various size pans. The Sensa Cook™ feature activates a burner to fit the footprint of a pan and turns the burner off when the pan is removed.

Bridge burners. Cooktop bridge burners link two burners to heat a large or oddly-shaped pan such as a griddle more effectively. Some models include a removable griddle grate accessory. Kenmore offers various other bridge options such as slide-in, drop-in and free-standing ranges in both gas and electric cooktops. Other popular models include an 18,000-BTU bridge burner and a 27,000 BTU bridge burner. An electric option is a 4,400 watt bridge element.

Turbo Boil™. This powerful 9-inch element uses 3,200 watts of energy to heat liquids very quickly.

5 Installation Insights

Installing slide-in ranges. The slide-in range feet must touch the floor. Don’t hang a slide-in range from the countertop and always refer to the owner’s manual before installation.

Electrical requirement for a dual-fuel range. The dual-fuel range requires a 240V outlet.

Converting the gas range to LP. LP kits are shipped with every Kenmore gas range. Contact an LP supplier to perform the conversion.

Lighting the burners during a power outage. Gas still flows to the burner during a power outage; light the burner with a match.

Using power cords and gas connectors for ranges. Electric slide-in ranges require a power cord. Gas slide-in ranges require a gas connector. Dual-fuel slide-in ranges require both a power cord and a gas connector. Review and follow all local codes.

2009 Sears Brands, LLC. All rights reserved.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Testing

1. In response to sostest

2. NO.!I know nothing about ovens and stoves but I do now and I got the best stove top and double oven I could inagine "THIS IS SOMETHING I THOUGHT I'D HAVE TO WIN THE LOTTERY TO PUT IN MY KITCHEN I DIDN"T HAVE TI WAIT SO LONG.I CAN NOW OPEN MY BUSINESS AND IT WILL PAY FOR IT'S SELF IN A MONTH.THANK YOU SEARS

1. In response to JamesWeber

James - you are leaving me hanging. What is your fantastic stovetop double oven? What would you recommend I look for in features, because I've been considering a double oven?

About

The Community Blog is a place where you can discover countless posts about the things that interest you. So go ahead.

Explore. Comment. Repeat.