Question

All of the issues listed here are factual, I challenge Sears to leave this post up and address the issues. Sears owes me a refund of over $2,600, their shipping department has lost the merchandise that I returned, the merchandise was misrepresented on the outlet store website and misrepresented when phone calls were placed prior to delivery about condition and connection accessories that were not included. Sears personnel have provided me with information about the refund of time periods ranging from two days following product return to their warehouse to thirty days following product return. When contacted about escalating a product complaint no one at Sears is authorized to expedite a return even when every person I spoke to admitted that Sears had made mistakes at every step of the purchase. There is no way for a customer to contact the Sears corporation to address problems, Sears managers tell customers they can send and email, and the managers will also say they do not call higher levels on the corporation, they just send emails. In the past I have had luck with purchasing items from Sears ‘scratch and dent’ stores, so I decided to try the online outlet. On June 20th I made purchase of a Washer and dryer. Over the course of that day the order was cancelled several times by Sears via email stating that one of the items was out of stock, with no specifics. After a litany of phone calls to the outlet store, often waiting on hold for 15 minutes or more I was told the following: The items shown on the Outlet Store website may not actually be available for purchase, availability isn’t determined until a purchase order has been placed by the customer. The people on the phone at the outlet store don’t have any more information than the customer does, they have to call the physical outlet store to confirm product availability. I had one of the people at the outlet store actually call a store to confirm availability, they told me the product was available, but the order was cancelled via email moments after I got off the phone because the product wasn’t available. I called a different physical store and placed an order for the washer since the dryer had been ordered, and processed the order myself. I was told by the reps at the call center and at the store I could check order progress by going online. The orders showed up, but every time they were selected I received an error message. I called the day prior to delivery to confirm what the washer and dryer would and would not come with, and was told I would need water, drain, vent hoses, nothing about a power cable for the dryer. On the day of delivery, July 12, the crew told me of the need for a power cord, which I was able to quickly purchase and come back with, only to have them ask me about where the feet were for the dryer. The crew said they had never seen a dryer without feet, and at this point I refused delivery and returned the washer and dryer, concerned that at this point of the continuing problems. I spoke with a shipping representative via the delivery crew’s cell phone who told me there was no way to process a refund until the merchandise was back at the warehouse and that it would take 7 to ten business days. I proceeded to call the outlet store, a different number for shipping and the customer solution center. I spoke with Jasmine at the outlet store who said it was the correct thing to do to refuse delivery so the return process could start. She told me there was no way to expedite a refund, but that sometimes refunds were processed as fast as 2 days, when I asked to speak to someone who could speed things up she sent me to Manny her supervisor. He said the only recourse I had was to send an email to shc@customerservice.sears.com, he agreed that Sears had made mistakes but there was no one in the entire corporation that could process a refund any faster due to their internal processes. Manny told me there was no person to speak to other than him, that there was no phone number at Sear corporate unless I wanted to google one, and if I found one they’d just transfer me to a call center. At the customer solution center I spoke with Erica, who repeatedly agreed that Sears had made mistakes all throughout the process, but there was nothing that could be done and that a refund could take as long as 30 days after the washer and dryer made it back to the warehouse. Erica also said it was a mistake to refuse delivery, that I should have accepted delivery and then called them for an exchange that could have been done almost immediately, remember Jasmine from above? Erica also promised me an email documenting in detail our conversation so I would know my concerns had been heard. To date no such email has been received, I did get one with a case number and that’s it. On July 20 I called the customer solutions center, Elsa told me she couldn’t do anything for me that shipping has to process the refund. I called shipping and spoke to a rep who would not give me her name who said that she could do nothing for me that the outlet store had to process the refund. I asked Elsa to confirm the washer and dryer had made it back to the warehouse, she put me on hold and when she returned she said she had spoken to the warehouse and the items had not been returned. I called customer solutions back to ensure they recorded that info, since their computer systems don’t talk to each other, and Alicia there told me that the warehouse is closed on weekends and there is no way Elsa could have spoken to them, but her computer showed that the washer and dryer had been returned to the warehouse, but she could not access any information about whether a refund had been initiated and that refunds take between 10 and 14 days from the time merchandise arrives at the website. So here’s where we are today: Orders were placed and cancelled at least three times. Merchandise is advertised for sale which is not available, but orders will be processed for a sale. Sears representatives initiated orders which were cancelled because they didn’t know what was available. Discounts were offered as an accommodation for repeated problems with ordering, the discounts were never processed. Despite confirmation, the items ordered were defective. Once defective merchandise is delivered , Sears representatives give conflicting advise on how to handle it. Once defective merchandise is returned Sears can’t account for it. Sears representatives continually provide conflicting and inconclusive information about how long it will take to process a refund. There is not a single person, per Sears managers, that can expedite a refund and make repeated mistakes right, even though those managers agree that Sears is responsible for those mistakes. I provide these facts in accordance with the user agreement for this forum. There are only facts here offered for other consumers to make good purchasing decisions, there is nothing threatening, derogatory, or misrepresenting. We challenge Sears to leave this post up and to reach out to me to rectify their errors and refund my money.

Answers

9 answers

1. Wow I can not believe this; I am having a similar issue with purchasing a washer and a dryer from sears. I have been trying to order a washer and dryer for several weeks and sears has cancelled my orders several times over via an email. I have spent long phone conversations with sears in trying to re-order those items but sears ends up canceling time and time again. It has been incredibly frustrating experience for me, at this point I do regret going thru sears and wished that I had read this post prior to starting this very frustrating process. I am at the point of almost wishing they would cancel the order again so that I can give my order to best buy. At least I would have been able to do my laundry in the comfort of my own home weeks ago had I purchased the washer and dryer from best buy.

1. In response to M2hot2trot

Hi there, M2hot2trot! Thanks for sharing this experience with us today. The SearsCares team can you with your order. A team member will be by shortly to take care of this with you.

I'll let you know as soon as they post a response via email.

Thanks!

2. In response to M2hot2trot

Hello M2hot2trot,

Thank you for bringing your online experience issue to our attention. Please accept our apologies that you have encountered trying to order a washer and dryer. We would be happy to connect you with one of our case managers to assist you with your online concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (M2hot2trot), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.
      MySears Community Moderator

2. I too am having the same problems and feel that this whole organization is a scam!

1. In response to notgonnabpc

Hi there, notgonnabpc! Welcome to MySears! I am going to pass your comment along to the SearsCares team. They will reach out right here looking to assist in a bit.

Once a response is posted, I will be sure to let you know via email with a link back to this thread. When you forward on the requested information to them, a case manager will work directly with you to help.

Thanks!

2. In response to notgonnabpc

Dear Notgonnabpc,

It truly concerns us when we hear things like this said about the products we sell, or the services we provide. We aim to deliver top notch service to each of our customers, but from your post it is clear we still have work to do. My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Cares team. We would like the chance to better understand what caused you to feel this way, and see how we can help. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Notgonnabpc), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.

Thank you,
      Brian S.
      MySears Community Moderator

3. Hi sdahl,

Update:

We have been informed that a case manager has been assigned and that you have been contacted on 7/20.

Keep us posted if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you!

• San Jose, CA

That sounds like a tremendous amount of work to get the "convenience" of an on-line order processed.

Was there an Outlet or New Appliance carrying store near to you?

The electrical cords for dryers are never included with a dryer, because there are several different model of plug types that can be used with one's electrically heated dryer.

The type of socket available at the customer's house being the factor that drives which cable is purchase for the dryer.

Although this shouldn't need to be said, "A 220 volt cable is NOT required when purchasing a gas dryer. A gas supply line IS NEEDED for this type of dryer."

The folks selling the appliances in the stores no about this kind of installation minutia.

4. Yikes sdahl!

Your challenge is not needed, for we thank you for posting your experience with us in the MySears Community. We welcome the feedback so that we can help to resolve any issues that our members post.

I can see how frustrating this has been for you as well as enduring a lengthy negative experience. We would be happy to try and help in any way that we can.

Your concerns and feedback have been escalated to our SearsCares team for they will be able to provide you with the information you are needing. Once they respond, they will be requesting additional information from you so that they can look into your account to help fix this issue. A dedicated case manager will be assign to you so that you will only be dealing with one specific person.

Please check back periodically for our SearsCares team will be responding soon.

Thank you!