Question

Are electric stoves actually safer?

I’ve been looking at a few options for stoves, but i’ve been given conflicting answers. so i’d like to extend this question to a wider audience for feedback.

Answers

3 answers

1. It's a bit like asking, "are M-80's safer than guns?" Electric and gas ranges each have inherent dangers associated with them, but they are generally safe products when treated and used properly.

Also, on a side note, how hilarious that Julie's post was censored because she used the word "k-n-o-b." :) What a funny filter we've got here.

2. Electric stoves are safer in regards to a fire or explosion hazard when compared to a gas range. If a surface burner on a gas range is accidently turned on and left on, then you could wind up with a dangerous condition. The gas range can also cause a build-up of carbon monoxide in some situations. Carbon monoxide detectors in the home can help minimize the practical effects of this potential hazard. The electric ranges can have an electrical short or failure that can result in an electrical shock hazard. That type of failure has some potential to start a house fire as well. Overall, I think that the electric ranges have a slight edge in regards to safety. Both types are relatively safe overall.

3. Hmmm...skara81. I have used both and haven't known there to be much of a difference. If you do not turn a gas ranges's **** completely off, gas could be released into your house, perhaps causing it to be considered less safe. But, that is just something you would need to double check consistently, I think.

I am going to pass your question along to our Appliance experts to have them weigh in on this, as well. Check back soon for a reply!