Question

Brand new Kenmore Elite side by side refrigerator. The light switches inside the freezer work, meaning the light will come in the freezer and if you open the fridge part at the same time, those lights will come on also (in fridge). The problem is when you only open the fridge, the lights do not come on. I looked at the switch in the fridge section and it doesn’t release all the way for the light to come on like it sticks a bit. I played with it for a bit to see if it would come “unstuck” but it seems like it catches on something. Is there a simple fix for this, or do I need to call a tech to come out? The fridge is only 6 days old.

Answers

6 answers

1. I would suggest you call and schedule a service call. The light switch sounds like it needs to be replaced. While this could be a do-it-yourself project since the unit is only 6 days old go ahead and schedule service to take care of this problem. Thank you for using mySearscommunity.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

Forgot to mention that when I do pull the switch out manually, the light does come on every time. It only releases half way when the fridge door is opened thus the light doesn't come on. Annoying that it's only 6 days old and we need to make a service call. They schedule a chunk of time and we've already done that 2 times, once for service to check if old fridge could be fixed, again to deliver said new fridge and now this . . . Saw it mentioned several places online that others had this exact same issue with Brand New Kenmore Elite Refrigerators and the fridge light not coming on. None of them realized that it was a sticking switch that I saw. Seems like it's a flaw with the design or assembly line.

2. In response to SHC-FredM

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry for the light problem with your new refrigerator. From the description you give the problem sounds like the switch itself. Light switches have been around a long time and are not subject to problems. Your internet search may have brought up a light problem where the light would not go out. Problems can happen with new products but without a model number I can pull up no history specific to your particular model. I understand the time it takes to miss work to wait on a repairman. If you call to schedule service be sure to mention the model number and problem. It would be best if a switch was sent ahead or at least the service person has the switch so another trip would not be required. If you feel comfortable with do-it-yourself you might have the switch sent to you and you pry it out to replace it yourself. Be sure to unplug the refrigerator first. I would suggest a service call since if there is a problem with the switch or the way it is installed at the factory we would have a better chance of discovering the problem and preventing any future issues. Your time may help prevent the problem from spreading so the first option of having the unit repaired in your home is the best option. I am again sorry for the inconvenience.

2. Hi rush16journey!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

Do you have a model number for this unit? It may be helpful to our Sears Appliance Experts so that they can provide you with detailed trouble shooting tips for this specific unit.

Please know that once our Experts respond I will be reaching out via email re-directing you back for further contact on this issue.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

my fridge is doing the same thing. light switch keeps sticking. Less than a year old. Model 253.68892010

2. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

The door switch # 241554901 will need to be replaced. If you would like to replace it yourself, the switch will pry out. Be sure to disconnect the power first. If you would like to have a technician make this repair, you can call 1-800-469-4663 to schedule a tech to come out. I hope this will help you.

See More