Answers

8 answers

1. Jayabis,
    did you fix it, my tractor exact same problem. replaced ignition, same issue..
    am going to get on it today and work from the motor back as the posts suggest..i have 10 (30) amp fuses to work with....help...
    thanks

1. In response to cpgaylor

Hi cpgaylor!

Please let us know how these tips work out for as provided by our Experts for they would be more than happy to help you further.

Thank you!

2. In response to cpgaylor

i did fix it, I replaced the ignition switch, which was not bad, then read the posts and started with the engine. Took the engine cover off and traced wires on the motor back and found a plastic tube with (3) wires in it lying on the starter gears, yikes. I cut away the black tube and ONE wire was bare, having been worn when starting. fixed that, re routed the wires and put everything back together, tractor started. back in business again.....thanks for the tips.

2. Jayabis, I am sorry for the problem you have blowing the fuse. If the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key on the problem is likely in the engine. I would first try to disconnect various engine parts such as the ignition unit that provides power to the spark plug. You can also disonnect the starter. Then replace the fuse and turn the key on. If the fuse does not blow, start plugging in the wires on each component one at a time. When the fuse blows after you plug a wire then that is the circuit where the problem is. Good luck and thank you for using mySearscommunity.

3. Harley05,

I am sorry you are having a problem with the tractor. If the fuse is blowing, there is an electrical problem on the tractor. First question is when does the fuse blow? If the tractor will start fine but blows the fuse as soon as you engage the blades, the problem is likely in the electric clutch or the PTO switch. I recommend looking at the backside of the PTO switch. If it is melted or shows signs of getting hot, I recommend replacing the switch. If the switch is fine, I recommend looking at the clutch. Some clutches can be adjusted. If yours is adjustable, you can try that first. The instructions for adjusting the clutch are usually posted in the manual. If it still blows the fuse and the wires look ok, I recommend replacing the clutch.

If the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key on the problem is likely in the engine. First, disconnect the wires on the engine. Then replace the fuse and turn the key on. If the fuse does not blow, start plugging in the engine wires. If the fuse blows after you plug a wire in that is the circuit where the problem is.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know more details if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Mark

4. Blowing a fuse means that there is an excessive draw on the circuit, or a dead short. Check the wiring harness for a worn spot where the wire can short out. One trick is to look in the dark, and see if you see a spark when the fuse blows. The spark is the location of the short

5. Hi Harley05,

Welcome to the MySears Community!

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your tractor. Do you by chance have the model number handy? This may help our Lawn & Garden Experts help in providing more than just general information.

If you can please check back periodically one of our Experts will be responding with some helpful trouble shooting tips for you to try.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Hi, the 30 amp fuse blows on my tractor as soon as I turn the key. I replaced ignition and solenoid and the problem still persists. I haven't been able to locate a loose or frayed wire. Any help would be appreciated. Model # is 917.270642

Thanks

See More