Question

can i repair my own microwave?

I have a Frigidaire, above range, where every feature works except ‘heating’.

Answers

4 answers

1. From the description of the problem I suspect the magnetron or high voltage transformer is the problem. Microwaves do not make good do-it-yourself projectscts. Microwaves are very dangerouse to work on. Even if unplugged from power some parts retain a lethal amount of voltage. Servicing a microwave can lead to serious injury or death. I do not suggest you do-it-yourself. Replacing the microwave may be the best option. Parts with service will most likely run in the $200-$300 dollar range just to let you know. You will need to schedule a service call to fix the microwave.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

SHC-FredM,
      Thanks for the advice. I will take you up on that one as I read in a forum how tricky it is to fix the problem I'm having. I saw a very good replacement microwave at Sears but need to know if they will install it. Thanks for the speedy reply.

2. Hi Dark Tyger,

Its great to have you in the MySears Community!

Do you know what the model of your microwave might be? This can help our Experts pinpoint the right troubleshooting method to share with you.

Please check back shortly for a reply back from one our Sears Appliance Experts.

Thank you! ;)

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Hi SHC-WendyFD-2,
      Model number is FMV156DCG. I ran across a forum about my problem. I may have been on the Frigidaire site but it seemed like a labor intensive project. The labor doesn't scare me, but not knowing about electricity even when the appliance is unplugged does scare me a bit. I think I rather take the advice from SHC-FredM. Sears actually have a microwave for around $350. But I'm not sure if they would install it for me. Thanks for getting back to me.

See More