Question

Can I return a broken product that was deliver two weeks ago, but purchase more than 30 days ago

Greetings,

I’m writing this with my heart full of frustration after trying to reach every channel available to solve why I believe is a simple issue. My saga begins on november 17, 2013 when my wife and I decided to buy our first washer and dryer. We choose Sears because we were convinced that your extended warranty was the best the market could offer. On this day the sales representative told us both equipment’s were going to be deliver by december 24, which we though was a long wait, but we eagerly accepted understanding that is shopping season and a lot of orders must have been going your way. After giving a well though to our purchase we change our mind to a more expensive equipment which was a quick change in store on november 29, with the same delivery date as our first purchase. On this purchase change Martha Serrano assisted us. We choose gas instead of electric for the dryer mostly to save on energy, since energy cost in Puerto Rico is pretty expensive. On december 24 we received the equipment just as expected and make the proper installation of the gas line with a professional, just to discover that the dryer was not working. We scheduled an appointment for january 3, 2014 between 7 and 9 am for which the technician never show up. After some frustrating calls and a store visit we managed to scheduled a visit for the next day. On this visit the technician determined that the dryer was not working due to problems with the heating system and told us we needed to go to the store and ask for a replacement. Once in the store Martha Serrano assisted us again and scheduled the delivery for the second dryer for january 8. Once we received the equipment we installed the gas and the dryer was working, so we decided to at last wash some clothes. We put the second load of clothes on the dryer and after an hour the clothes came out wet, so after a couple of tries we just knew that the second dryer was also broken. On the next day, which is the day I’m writing this comment, we arrived on store to either return or get a refund on our faulty dryer. After hours of waiting and a couple of not so friendly associates, including one that told us that she couldn’t help us or find us someone that can because she just ended her shift, we finally get the news that there was not comparable dryer that the store could offer us because the price differential was to high. After this news we decided to return both washer and dryer and started the process with an associate called Melissa. After almost 30 minutes waiting, she called us and told us that we will need to pay a $69 dollar return fee for the washer transportation since this one was not broken. We were very disappointed at this, since we expected more from Sears especially after receiving two non-working dryers, and all the trouble that this had cost us. We decided to pay for that anyway, knowing that we probably won’t buy from Sears again if that is the kind of Costumer Service we will receive especially after having a problem like receiving to broken dryers in a row. After that she told us that the return was in process, but we needed to wait for a call to confirm and get all the details, so we headed out of the store. On our way out we came upon Martha (our original seller) and share our journey for what she surprisingly reply that we couldn’t return the equipment because more than 30 days had passed. We told her that the return was being process, since the delivery was made only two weeks ago and left the store only to received a called to confirm a repair visit that we didn’t asked for. When we called her back to understand what had just happened she told us that to be able to make a return we needed to schedule a repair appointment and the closest date for that was on January 11. After a very long afternoon of calls and agony for not finding someone able or eager to help us we didn’t had much choice but to accept the repair appointment. At this point we still don’t understand why we need a repair appointment for equipment that we don’t want because it came faulty twice and we find very unfair not to be able to return it specially when it has only been two weeks in our home. We even checked Sears return policy and saw that sales on “11/17/13 – 12/24/13 with a standard 30-day return period, can be returned through 1/24/14″. It wouldn’t make sense to us that this policy doesn’t apply to Puerto Rico if that is the case. I don’t expect any especial treatment, but as a costumer, the least I expect from this situation is that another product with the same quality or better be offer to us at the same price, in exchange for the lemon the store sold us. We already contacted our Consumer Protection Government Agency and after hearing our case they told us that if we can’t find a solution to this problem, we are eligible to open a formal complaint, which is probably our next step. I just hope that the bad experience and the bad Costumer Service we had received so far is an isolated case and that someone will read this and find us a solution before been forced to take the next step.

Answers

6 answers

1. We decide to give it one last try and headed to the store to find a solution that didn't make us lost more time. Brian Quiñones and Nydia Ramos were patient enough to hear our troubles and found us a solution right at the spot. We choose to exchange the dryer with another brand and the store matched our original price. If I decide to shop at Sears again it will have a lot to do with the good help Brian and Nydia gave us that day. We still need to wait till february 8 for the washer and dryer to arrive, but we are very understanding costumers and will patiently wait. I hope everything goes well this time. This is a good example to Sears that options and empathy wins it all with costumers.

1. In response to jad090

So glad to hear your are being taken care of, jad090. Thanks so much for coming back to share this resolution. We really appreciate you taking the time!

2. Hello jad090,

We are sorry to hear about the troubles encountered with the deliveries and repair service with your dryer. My name is Mina with the Social Media Support team. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you and your family. We can hear from your post that this has been a very upsetting experience with getting help to have your items picked up. We can understand your time is valuable and we would like to step in and have one our personal case managers discuss your experience and see what we can do to make things right. At your convenience please contact our office via email at SMAdvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (jad090), you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thanks you,
    Mina H.
    MySears Community Moderator

1. In response to SHC-Mina

Thank You Mina,

I just wrote back to this email with my info.

3. Hi jad090!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention and would be happy to help you further. Your concerns are very important to us and have been escalated to our Sears Cares team so that they can help in resolving this issue for you.

Once one of our team members responds, contact information will be requested and once received, a dedicated case manager will be assigned to assist in resolving this to your satisfaction.

Please know that I will be reaching out via email letting you know that our Sears Cares team has responded to help in directing you back to your original thread for contact.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Thank you for your reply. We just received an email informing that the technician appointment is schedule for Monday(january 13) instead of the previously agreed Saturday(january 11). I believe that the store is just allowing more time to pass so that we are unable to return the equipment. I will take yet more time from my work to receive the technician on Monday and another day on Tuesday to visit the Consumer Protection Agency to file a formal complaint. I will bring with me all evidence that we tried and reach every channel available within our power to return a broken product inside your return policy.