Question

Can’t Remove Old Filter from Refrigerator

Every time I try to remove the old filter, It’s impossible to get out. I’m afraid I’ll break the casing. Is there a secret? Can I spray WD40 on it? I need help! Neither my husband nor I can get the darned thing out!

Answers

3 answers

1. What is the model number of your refrigerator? That would help determine the way the filter is to be removed. Please, definitely DON'T spray WD-40, or any petroleum distillates, into the refrigerator. It will contaminate your water and cause damage to the refrigerator. Have you ever been able to remove the water filter from this refrigerator?

2. Muggins77,
    I am sorry you are having a problem removing the water filter. Over time the o-rings on the filter can get a little sticky. If the filter is the type you have to turn to remove, you may need to use a pair of pliers to turn it. Once you get the filter out, you can add more lube to the o-rings on the filter. This will lube the filter housing when you install the filter. It should prevent this from happening in the future. What you want to use is a food grade silicone. You should be able to purchase it at your local hardware store. Just read the container and it will say if it is safe for food areas.

I hope this is helpful. Please reply below with more details and a model number if you need further assistance. Thank you Mark T

3. Hi Muggins77! Thanks for posting your question today! I am sure one of the Appliance Experts can let you know the best way to get that filter out. If you could also post the model number of your fridge, they will be able to give you a reply that is specific to your fridge instead of a general answer.

Check back soon for their suggestion!