Question

craftsman garage door opener only works when the remote is within 10 feet of the opener

Answers

4 answers

1. Usually when this happens, the opener unit is getting radio interference from somewhere. It can be caused by any number of things in and around the garage as well as something next door or up the street.

We can at least eliminate some things to make sure they are not the cause. First, take the batteries out of the outside keypad device and then try the remotes to see if they are working at the usual distance. Next, take the wires to the wall control off at the back panel of the opener unit and try the remotes to see if they are normal or not.

If not, try to think of anything you added to your home right around the time this started happening. Maybe a wireless internet router or lights in the garage, anything like that is subject to cause problems like this.

At the same time anything new and electric around the house may cause the problem, the logic board on the opener can be the issue and need to be replaced.

Let me know what you find back here on this thread and we can maybe eliminate some more and come closer to a conclusion.

Thank you for using mySearscommunity.

2. I should have provided more info. The opener was installed 2 years ago (2011) There is a keypad remote on the outside of the garage door, and the regular remote (about the size of a business card, but thicker) inside the car. Batteries on both remotes have been replaced with new batteries. Neither remote works consistently when the door is closed. It seems to be especially bad (non-Functioning) in damp/wet weather. I have other door openers on other garage doors that work from a distance of 150 feet. More than 50% of the time I need to get out of the car, open the service door, and push the wired door opening control to get in the garage.

1. In response to rhk1

Hi rhk1,

We appreciate the updated information, do you by chance know the model number too? This may be helpful for our Sears Experts to help you further.

Please know we will be reaching out via email once a response has posted to direct you back to your original thread for further contact.

Thank you!

2. In response to rhk1

rhk1: You may need to add an extension wire to the antenna wire on the unit that is mounted to the ceiling.

See More