Answers

7 answers

• San Jose, CA

I just acquired some vintage hand tools from an Antique shop and have been diligently removing rust from about half-a-dozen different hand tools.

The handsaws are quite challenging to "bring back".

I'm currently starting out the saw blade rust removal process with my trusty Craftsman Nextec Mouse sander.

One of the three handsaws I'm working on is one of those Craftsman large Miter Saw Back saws, from somewhere around the 70's, I believe.

• San Jose, CA

If you visit the Craftsman Community site (bottom, left of the Craftsman.com opening screen) you can see before and after pictures of various tools that have had rust removed.

The pictures sections are under either the Projects or the Tips & Tricks tab of the site.

The discussions tab has "words"...

This site is more better with all of its BLOGS.

• San Jose, CA

You can also remove light/ new rust with the application of a tooth-brush style wire brush to the tool. This is one of the most gentle methods of removing rust, while preserving any patina on a vintage tool being restored.

Go straight to abrasives or chemical can ruin the collectibility/ value of a vintage tool that just has some surface rust in need of being removed.

Rust is bad.

Patina is good.

• San Jose, CA

If you already own a Dremel or Craftsman rotary tool than you have GOT to get a pair of Craftsman abrasive puff wheels to quickly clean off that rust.

I restore ratchets and other tools and just love these seemingly unique to Craftsman products.

The package comes with one medium and one coarse wheel, with a free arbor for use with either wheel.

Very few tool marks are left by this tool, which makes it a valuable tool when doing restoration of tools that are going to be "looked at" as much as used.

The wheels will do a soft abrasive job and don't need much pressure to work.

They're fairly safe on plated surfaces too, that already have finishing marks on them.

The wheels wear quickly. But, at $2.69 a package, they're a great buy.

Have a good time with restoring your hammer and a light application of 3-in-1 or mineral oil will help protect the hammer from future rusting.

1. Hello Alygator,

Here is a copy of another response that I have given on hand tool rust removal:

I would like to answer your question about removing existing rust off of hand tools. There are a lot of different methods, some use harsh chemicals, some use abrasives, but the one that I prefer is to use WD-40 and Scotch-Brite pads. Be sure to perform this task in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors and wear safety glasses and gloves. Use an old shallow baking pan, or some other suitable container to prevent a mess on the floor. Apply a liberal amount of WD-40 to a Scotch-Brite pad. Scrub the tool until the oxidation has been removed and then wipe the tool down with a fresh, thin coat of oil and put it away. You may also want to treat it with a spray type wax based rust inhibitor, like Boeshield T-9, to prevent oily residue from getting in your tool box, on your hands, and all over what you are working on. If the rust is extremely bad, you may need to use Naval Jelly, an acid based rust remover, or another good product, Evapo-Rust. These have a much more reactive nature, so be sure to carefully read the instructions that came with the product!

JerryTech

2. Hi Alygator! Let me check with our Tool expert on this one. I am sure something can be done to get that rust off!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

I've heard of home remedies for this before.

See More