Question

Craftsman Lawn Tractor would not start. Running fine daughter got off to move a stick and then it would not start. I had knee replacement and had some one check it about 3/4 weeks later, just thought the spark plug was fouled out from gas. I called 2 or 3 times and talked to 8 different people that could not speak good English. Whenever I asked to speak to an American Representive that could speak English(never did speak to a rep. that spoke English), I was transferred. I spoke to one man in broken English that said, I needed to call Craftsman because I had called Sears. What! I explained Crfaftsman was Sears brand name product and I had called the # on my Craftsman manual. One of the operators said she would waive and send a repair man out to check the lawnmower out. I wanted to make sure she understood, I asked you will send a repair person and I won’t have to pay for the service charge, she then tells me no, no it will cost $105.00. WHAT! I put it in a repair shop in my town, it is a defective Cam. The repair man gave me the # to call and the nice English speaking ladies today told me to go to my sears.com. I bought my lawn tractor August 28, 2010. It was under warranty when the problem started. HELP! I have never had a problem like this, I have had nemerous Craftsman lawn tractors, Sears TV, washer dryers, craftsman tools(only brand my Dad & Husband would buy) and so many products I can’t remember in 40 years. But if I don’t get answers this will be the last product I will buy. HELP

Answers

8 answers

• San Jose, CA

Has the seat weight sensor switch being unplugged and plugged back in, as a fix suggestion on October 23rd?

This procedure worked when I first got my Craftsman tractor.

• San Jose, CA

When your daughter left the tractor seat, while the engine was running, apparently she did not set the parking brake and leave the transmission in neutral.

The seat safety switch turned off the machine, fearing the driver had fallen off the tractor and might be run over by a still running tractor.

The machine "should" start up as soon as the ignition switch is turned off and the tractor restarted, with the clutch pedal depressed and the tractor transmission set to neutral.

If this was not the case.

Try raising the hinged seat and unplugging the wire going to the seat weight sensor and replugging the connector back in. That should reset the sensor and allow your machine to start up again.

The blades have to be disengaged when starting up the tractor, too.

Good luck.

1. To JW,
    I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with your lawn tractor. At Sears, we pride ourselves on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have not met that goal here. From your post I can see that this has been a source of great frustration for you and we would like to assist.
    My name is Dianne with the Sears Social Media Escalations Team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at SMAdvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the lawn tractor was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (JW) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.
    Thank you,
    Dianne D.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

2. Hi JW-Help! We can have a SearsCares team member reach out on this thread to help look into your tractor issue for you. Check back soon for a reply. Thanks!

3. numerous Craftsman....sorry...typing mad....

1. In response to JW-HELP

If calling 800 4 MY HOME doesn't yield the information or assistance you need, you can always call the store you purchased from. They're not just there to make the sale, but to assist you after the sale, too. Or, call any local Sears store. Or, visit your local Sears store. These are all options that would help solve a problem you might be having.

2. In response to JW-HELP

No problem

• San Jose, CA

In response to JW-HELP

A tractor setup 800 number helped me diagnose a starting problem, when I first took delivery of my Craftsman Tractor.

Turned out to be the "seat sensor" being tripped during shipment of the machine, from the factory.

Had it fixed within about 15 minutes...