Question

Defective Dryer Design & Poor Service From Sears=No More Kenmore For Us!

Kenmore Elite Dryer model # 796.91022900. Clothes get caught on lint filter because of design defect.
Fri: Spent over 2 1/2 hours on phone with 5 different people. Finally told there was a “Service Flash # 26-806-Clothes Catching on Lint Filter” and that the service tech would know what to do. Confirmed I wouldn’t be charged before hanging up.
Sat: Service Tech called before coming and asked what was wrong (why didn’t he know?) after I told him he said he’d have to order the parts and reschedule. Tech called back and said he was told, even though he didn’t come to see the dryer, he had to stop by to charge me $65 (he might have said $55). I told him there shouldn’t be a charge and he had Sears call me again. Now another complete explanation to another person (including an insinuation that I was lying) and the person said he would look into it and call me back on Tues, because the department he needed was closed on the weekend and he worked Tues thru Sat.
Tue: The person called as promised but couldn’t remember the details so I had to go thru everything again. He finally said that they would credit me $65 towards parts and labor after I pay for the Tech person to come out and fix the dryer. I discovered that the parts I would need would be about $55 plus the labor, which was going to be $65 just for “looking at the dryer” plus how much more??

This is a design defect that should have been fixed for free. This is from a complaint about the same issue on www.SearsPartsDirect.com from a “Sears Expert”:

>>>>>>>Fred M, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your question. I am sorry for the problem with your Kenmore 796.81022900 Elite Dryer. Clothes catching on the lint filter is a problem that has come up before……. The filter housing designe has been improved. The new and improved lint housing is part number MCK49049101.<<<<<

This problem has been discussed and reported on Sears' www.ManageMyLife.com website since at least 2/3/2011. Here's the link to one discussion which includes both my model #796 and another model #410:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/questions/238142-clothes-stop-getting-caught-dryer-vent-ripping?page=1&per_page=50

I've spent over 4 hours on the phone getting different, conflicting information from different people including being told erroneously that I have to call LG (the actual dryer manufacturer). We have had many clothing items damaged and often destroyed due to the design defect. And now I'm being forced to buy the parts and fix the dryer myself because I have no idea how much the repair will cost and if I'll, in fact, be reimbursed the $65 that was mentioned on the last call. What has happened to the Kenmore name I grew up with. Take some responsibility for what you sell under your name.

Since you know there is and has been a problem and there is a Service Flash listing the problem and how to fix it, when I called, you should have just said, "Yes, we know about the issue and we'll send a repairman out to fix it at no charge". End of story!

Answers

9 answers

1. We have been having the exact same problem with our lint filter. It's destroyed 100s of dollars in clothes. What ended up being done?

1. In response to Ashley798

Hi there, Ashley798! Thanks for posting today. I would recommend giving the folks at Sears Home Service a call, as well. They will be able to diagnose and discuss the issues you are having with your dryer.

1-800-4-MY-HOME

Thanks!

2. Was this problem ever solved? I have the same dryer (model 796.82199900) and am tired of ruined clothes. Did Sears send parts, or does a service tech have to come out. Not sure who to call.

1. In response to Cmechlin

Hi there, Cmechlin! Thanks for your question! I would recommend giving the folks at Sears Home Service a call and let them know the issues you are experiencing with your dryer.

1-800-4-MY-HOME

They will be able to walk you through the process of repair.

Thanks!

Thanks!

2. In response to Cmechlin

I came across this thread as I am having the same issues with my Kenmore Elite Steam dryer model 796.81728000. I too have lost several hundred dollars worth of clothes and am getting really frustrated. I called Sears Home Service as suggested and they said they could send someone out if I paid for it. If this is a defect in the product I should not have to pay for this. They gave me the number of the recall department and I called there and they told me it was not under any kind of recall and to call the Sears Home Service. This is not good customer service on a known defect. Has anyone ever had Sears fix this problem or are we all just stuck with a defective product that ruins the very thing that we thought we were buying a quality product to protect. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

3. In response to Cmechlin

Hi there, alylar! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us today. I am sorry to hear about the issues you having with your dryer. I have sent your concerns along to the SearsCares team, who will be by in a bit requesting more information to continue this discussion with you directly.

As soon as a team member posts a response, I will be sure to reach out via email to let you know.

Thanks!

4. In response to Cmechlin

Hello alylar!
      My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We thank you for posting about this. We truly apologize for the troubles you have encountered with your steam dryer. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to look into this further and assist with resolving this matter to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (alylar), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.
      MySears Community Moderator

3. Niwashikun,

We’re sorry that our service did not meet expectations with your recent dryer issue. My name is David with our Sears Cares Escalation team. I can understand how this situation has frustrated you and would like to help. We would like to have a case manager contact you directly to discuss this situation and assist you in addressing your concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dryer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Niwashikun) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
    David W.
    MySears Community Moderator

4. Welcome, Niwashikun! Thanks so much for posting your experience today. I am so sorry that you are having issues getting your dryer fully repaired. SearsCares, the customer service escalation team. will be happy to discuss the problems you are having and get this resolved for you. They will respond right here in a bit.

Once they do, I will be sure to send you an email to make sure you are directly in touch with them ASAP so they can help.

See More