Question

Does Sears consumers know that Sears will not take responsibility for floor damages while installing your dishwasher?

Sears will tell you to get the Sears installer’s insurance company to pay for damages and also suggest to use your homeowners insurance.

Answers

33 answers

1. Wow, reading all of these complaints...it's just like I wrote them myself! I am in the same hole right now with Sears/Sedgwick/BBB. Got the runaround, dishwasher leaked and soaked a wall and inside bottom of cabinetry. Appointments made, nobody showed up, etc. Not to mention a total of well over 2 hours on the phone and all I got from BBB is bounced back to Sears and Sedgwick, which is where I left off and the person never showed up for the inspection. It's a Kenmore Elite and I paid pretty much exactly what jsimms1983 paid for parts. How does Sears stay in business with the horrific way they treat their customers? I ended up cleaning up the water damage myself, drying the walls, and my brother found the leak and fixed it. The installer had put Teflon tape where it didn't belong. Then Sears tried to tell me that my brother laying his hands on it may have voided the warranty!!! Yeah, nice try. What was I supposed to do, let it leak while waiting for one of their incompetent "installers" to come and fix it? So now I also don't know what to do. There is a Sedgwick claim in place but they represent Sears and act in Sears' interest. How will that help me? The BBB has stated that since I don't want to deal with Sedgwick and Sears anymore, I have to go to small claims court. So here we go, I'll miss even more work now even after missing 5 hours of work altogether between the phone calls and waiting at home for someone who never showed up.

1. In response to lramcharan

Hi there, lramcharan! Thanks for your post today. I have forwarded your concerns on to the SearsCares team, who will be happy to follow up on your claim for you. A team member will be shortly looking to help. Once they post, I will reach out to via your registered email to let you know.

Thanks!

2. In response to lramcharan

Dear lramcharan,

Thank you for taking the time to post about the experience you had with the installers and Sedgwick alike. Our 3rd party business partners and the work that is conducted represents Sears and we want all of our members to have a hassle free experience when dealing with out 3rd party business partners and can see we are missing the mark in your case. At this time we’d like the chance to put you in direct contact with a member of our case management team that will work with you and Sedgwick to straighten this matter out. Please send the following information – the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name to reference your post (lramcharan), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,

Isaac D.
      MySears Community Moderator.

2. SEDGWICK SEDGWICK SEDGWICK Well lets just start by saying they are a joke. I had my kitchen redone just before thanksgiving and wanted my dishwasher working for the holidays. So I called my home warranty company and they recommended Sears to come out. They sent a tech out Nov.19, 2013 he then took my dishwasher completely apart and said that he had to order parts because it would be cheaper for them to repair vs replace it. (total parts $762.58). That price I think i could have brought 3 dishwashers. So he put everything back together and said don't use it. (It was not working anyway). The next tech is setup up to come out Dec. 9, 2013 to replace parts. So no dishwasher for the holiday still ok just fix it. So come Thanksgiving morning MY KITCHEN FLOODS. So I call sears and they tell me to call the mighty mighty SEDGWICK. They set up a claim and then told me that it was a known issue and that the manufacturer would have to handle this claim. So in-between that time Dec. 9th is here and my tech is here to install new parts. I say well wait let me call SEDGWICK and see if they want to fix the washer today or wait seeing that its a claim out. So after 8 call to my claims associates voicemail I finally get her and explain that the tech was here should he fix washer or leave it alone for now, she asked to speak to the tech. I give him the phone and i hear her asked dose he see how it flooded his answer was YES THE FIRST TECH NEVER PUT A CLAMP BACK ON THE DRAIN HOSE that connects to the sink. There it is SEARS' Fault. So now she tell him to fix the dishwasher. Then she set me up with Whirlpool who starts a claim. I send them EVERYTHING they asked for and some and 2 months later Feb 6 i get a email stating that it is not a problem with any of their parts. Which I and SEDGWICK knows so why is whirlpool even involved???? (PASSING THE BUCK) So now i call SEDGWICK back and they say well we never had note of the tech saying anything about the clamp not being put on………..REALLY so i guess I just paid to have my kitchen redone to destroy it again COME ON PEOPLE. So now its my word against theirs. So now today is here Feb 12th and my kitchen is still A MESS!! So I called to speak to my claims rep supervisor and she is saying the same thing. So now where do i go with this problem. I am trying not to have to go to my lawyer but i think this is my only way to solve this problem. And just to think I am a LOYAL SEARS customer but after this I think I will spend my Hard Earned Money elsewhere if you all can't fix something that your people broke. SIGNED VERY VERY UPSET CUSTOMER.

1. In response to jsimms1983

Hi jsimms1983! Thanks for sharing your experience on MySears today. I am sorry to hear of the troubles you have had with your dishwasher and communication with the Sedgewick team. I am forwarding this on to SearsCares, who will be happy to look into all of these issues for you.

A team member will be by in just a bit with a response. As soon as that is posted, I will send you an email to let you know.

Thanks!

2. In response to jsimms1983

still have NOT heard anything yet Im just getting closer and closer to just turning this over to my lawyer but I'm trying to give sears a chance to resolve this issue because i like shopping at sears. Every tool in my garage is craftsmen but I will sell all I have on craigslist and never step foot in another sears store as long as my body has breath in it. I have never been through anything like this in my life especially seeing how sears is such a big chain you would think that they would be more than happy to keep their customers happy no matter what. Think I might get the media involved in this as well, just to get my point across. I am tired of playing these games……..

3. In response to jsimms1983

jsimms1983,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue you’re experiencing with your Sears. We see that you have been dealing with this Sedgwick matter for some time and we can understand why you’d be dissatisfied with our services. At this time we would like to put you in contact with a case manager that will work directly with you and assist you in getting this matter taken care of. . Please send the following information – the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name to reference your post (jsimms1983), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,

Isaac D.
      MySears Community Moderator.

4. In response to jsimms1983

Ok so here we are 2/18/14 just spoke to Sedgwick again after being lied to about an investigator being sent out last week. I have been trying my best to work with Sedgwick but it just seem that I'm not getting anywhere. So today my call was to let me know that they have denied my claim due to lack of proof and the age of my dishwasher........ Really "LACK OF PROOF" come on what proof do you need if your own tech said that the previous tech did not put the clamp on the hose. Then to tell me the age of my dishwasher is another reason... It's not my fault that SEARS decided to repair the dishwasher than replace it. So I need to speak to SOMEONE that can honestly take up for sears in their wrong doings. Sedgwick is really giving sears a VERY bad name. Because if sears pays this company to defend their employees, defend them with the truth don't flip my story and make me seem like the dumba**. I am so upset with sears,Sedgwick, and this whole experience. And I am willing to go to the CEO of Sears with this claim because it really is now starting to look like my word vs theirs and I'm ready to boycott sears in any way shape form or fashion. Now where this message will take me, I don't know (probably nowhere) but it would really be nice to get this problem resolved. In the mean time as soon as I submit this message I am contacting my lawyer. And if we have to go that route sears will remember my name for a very long time because this is really NONSENSE

5. In response to jsimms1983

Hi jsimms1983! I have forwarded your feedback along to your case manager. Look to hear from someone shortly!

Thanks for posting your update!

6. In response to jsimms1983

Thanks

7. In response to jsimms1983

I hope this issue can get resolved in a timely fashion, it's only been 3 1/2 months that my house has been torn apart.

8. In response to jsimms1983

jsimms1983,

I can certainly see from your posts that this has been an upsetting situation for you and your family. I've forwarded our posts to your case manager and asked that they contact you as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Susan R.
      My Sears Community Moderator

9. In response to jsimms1983

Still haven't talked to anyone

10. In response to jsimms1983

Hi jsimms1983,

Your case managers case indicates that contact was made about your dishwasher and the claim with Sedgwick. For security purposes, we'll send you an email containing the both contact number we have from you. Please respond to the email confirming that both numbers are active. We also forward this update to your case manager for attention.

Thank you,
      Edwin C.
      MySears Community Moderator

3. We purchased a dishwasher from Sears that was a top of the line Kenmore. The dishwasher was installed by Sears. Just this week I walked into my kitchen and there was water everywhere, coming from underneath the dishwasher. My husband and I worked to clean up the water and it continue spraying out from under the dishwasher. I immediately call Sears Repair number to have someone come out immediately. They said it would be several days before they could send someone, and that Sears did not consider water flooding everywhere an emergency. We had to contact a plumber and turn off our water supply to our home. The plumber came immediately and discoverd the problem within minutes...the installers had not put a washer on the connection hose, and as the dishwasher was being used, the vibration had caused the leakage to occur since there was no washer at the connection. We went to to the Sears store where we purchased the dishwasher and my husband gave the information to store manager. She said she would file a report and we would be contacted. We were contacted 3 days later by this Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. Basically we were told that we need to pay ourselves for the water extraction and drying out, which by the way, the estimate was around $2,400.00 for just that and then submit a claim, which I needed to understand that it could take a long time to have this claim reimbursed. We also have wood floors in the room that is on the back side of the dishwasher and there is water under the wood floors now due to this. And the plumber also said the control board of the dishwasher had been under water and within time would erode and it was in his opinion that Sears should replace this dishwasher as it was still under warranty.

We were also told by Sedgwick that Sears contracts out their installation and that their insurance company would have to be responsible. If that is the case...why are they not sending out someone from the installers insurance to access the damage to my home and making arrangements to have this fixed at their expense.

This is all such a joke and I am just sick that I am reading all these complaints online about Sears and damage that has been done to peoples homes because of crappy installation people or crappy appliances...what a joke!! And Sears does nothing but give you the run a round and you cannot get anyone at Sedgwick to answer their phones...what they hope you will do is have your homeowners insurance pay for all your damages and then they will do absolutely nothing but think they are now off the hook. I am so furious!!!! When Sears goes bankrupt will anyone be surprised?? The worst costumer service ever!!!!

1. In response to LSouthwell

Hello, LSouthwell! My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I am very sorry for troubles you have encountered with your dishwasher. I can truly understand your frustration with the dishwasher being incorrectly installed and the lack of customer service you have received. We certainly can see why you are so disappointed and upset over what has occurred. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (LSouthwell), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

2. In response to LSouthwell

Hi there. I would REALLY like to speak with you as we are going through a similar issue and are absolutely fed up with Segdwick and Sears. I'd like to know how (or if) you resolved your problem because at this point I'm not sure if we ever will.

Our situation is with our year old washing machine which has been out of service for almost a month now (and with 4 kids and two adults, that is a LOT of money and time spent at a laundromat!). Sears has been out 3 times now, twice the same wrong part was ordered, 3rd time the guy was very helpful but had to order more parts. Our 2nd guy zip tied our machine together, told us it was fine to use, and on the first load we did right after he left the machine gushed 40 gallons of water onto our upstairs hallway and through the drywall in our garage.

If you see this, email me at alisabeth.b@gmail.com. Looking for help from anyone who's had a similar experience!

3. In response to LSouthwell

I have been experiencing the same exact thing! My hardwood floors were damaged when The "Sears" delivery team delivered my fridge on 8/25/13. When I filed the issue, sears informed me that someone would contact me within 24 hours. When I did not receive a call I call back, I myself called sears, and someone told me that is was 48 hours, not 24. So I waited 48 hours, nothing! It has been weeks now. I just received a call from an outside agency and they are saying I have to deal with the delivery team on my own. Sears does not care and they have not provided me with ANY information or given me ANY type of support. This is a disgrace.

4. In response to LSouthwell

Hi there, rreeves21! Thanks for posting on the MySears Community today. I am so sorry to hear about the damage done to your floor. I am going to send this along to the SearsCares team. They can look into this for you, and will do what they can to assist.

A team member will post below in a bit looking to help. Once a response is published, I will let you know via email so you can be sure to connect with them.

Thanks!

5. In response to LSouthwell

Thank You! I already filed a claim with Sears and have a claim number. The outside agency representing Sears is saying I have to deal with the delivery driver on my own. That they will call me to pay for the damaged floors. No one has called me. How is this not a Sears issue? Why can't Sears do anything to help this situation? I look forward to hearing form someone soon. Thanks Again!

6. In response to LSouthwell

Rreeves21, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We are very sorry to hear that you are having such a disappointing experience with the delivery of your refrigerator. We certainly can see why you are so frustrated with waiting for a response on your claim. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to look into this further and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (rreeves21), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

7. In response to LSouthwell

Liz,

I am having a similiar issue and am hoping that you could assist. Last night I came downstairs to find an entire wash laod of water on my new maple hardwood floor. I was able to determine that it was coming from under the dishwasher and running through my new cabinets.

I called Sears Service and have a service appointment scheduled for Friday the 14th. That is 8 days from when I called. I think Sears really needs to step up and get people out right away expecially when there is property damage. There is a lot of water that leaked into my floors and cabinets and I cannot wait 8 days for Sears to verify a faulty clamp. Waiting that long will only make the problem worse.

I had my plumber come this morning and we were able to identify the issue and I have picture. It is a factory installed clamp that became lose. There is now way for a consumer to tighten it and it has caused enormous damage to my home.

I have already spoke with Escalation and have a case number and will be calling Sedgwick today. However, it sounds like nothing can be done until the service appointment.

I spent thousands on the entire line of Kenmore Elite appliances and even purchased the extended service.

8. In response to LSouthwell

Hi there, isaachagen! Thanks for posting on MySears today. I am so sorry to hear about your dishwasher. I am going to pass this along to the SearsCares team to follow up with you on your case. Once they post a response right here, I will notify you via email.

Thanks!

9. In response to LSouthwell

isaachagen,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience and concerns with your Kenmore Elite Dishwasher. We know it can be quite frustrating when an appliance does not perform as it should. At this time we have forwarded your contact information to our case management team, and a dedicated case manager will be in contact soon. If there is a good contact number that you would like to provide us with as well, please forward that to smadvisor@searshc.com and make it attention to (isaachagen). We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thanks,

Kurt M.
      MySears Community Moderator

4. sshank
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalation team. I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I am very sorry to see that you had such a disappointing experience with installation. Per our records, I see your case manager has reached out to you via phone on 02/06/2012. I will forward your post over to your case manager for contact. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience. Thank, you Liz R. My Sears Social Media Moderator

1. In response to SHC-LizR

Never was contacted via phone...would of helped if a message was left.

But it's OK, I never expect Sears will ever resolve the problem they caused.

5. I think Sedgwick is or was the insurance company.

And Blue Crew is right, Sears can do the right thing the FIRST time around ("We have a choice: do things the most effective and correct way"), or they can bang the heads of the customers against the wall and make sure they NEVER come back.

Remember the power of social media.

Looking forward to the next quarterly report.

1. In response to ServiceLocally

Sears insurance does end up paying in the end from the stories I've read, and Sears does have a reputation for the runaround.

If Sears would like to, Sears could turn around and get the money from the installers insurance. But as far as the customer is concerned the contract is with Sears.

This poster just needs to get a Sears Cares or Blue Ribbon involved.

"Market Manager - Field Logistics Services"

"This individual is responsible for leading the critical thinking initiatives and the problem solving thought process. Critical to success is the ability to drive performance and proadvocacy through direct relations with an average of 10 individual installer firms and direct relationships through a local carrier manager with an average of 10 delivery teams. The individual is directly accountable for the inventory sold through Sears and Third Party clients until the completed delivery and/or installation at the end consumer location."

Who is responsable for completed delivery? "The individual is directly accountable for the inventory sold through Sears and Third Party clients until the completed delivery and/or installation at the end consumer location." This is for Greensboro, NC. but I'm sure there are many other Market Managers.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=455&siteid=185&AReq=125138BR

6. Installers who work for Sears are all licensed and insured. Any damages caused by an installer are the responsibility of the party causing the damages (the installer). As such, the installer's insurance will be responsible for compensation for damages. The most efficient and simple method for getting such compensation is having the experts you're paying to do that for you, your homeowner's insurance provider, to get that compensation from the installer's insurance company. The old timey notion of just being given money for damages by whoever one chooses is not how things work, no matter how gutturally satisfying it might be. We have a choice: do things the most effective and correct way, or bang our heads against the wall based on an obsolete principle. Nobody can force a person to do the former, but just because it's not the way someone demands it to be doesn't mean that's not the way it is.

1. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

Say what?

I followed the Sears procedures regarding the damage.

They use their third party claims administrator, Sedgwick Claims
      Management Services. The result?, nothings being done... no one is taking any responsibility.

So who's not "doing things the most effective and correct way."

You need to quit putting out mis-information.

7. Unfortunately its true that Sears subcontracts installations out to other companies.

If that doesn't work out, You can always file a claim with Sears' insurance company.

Im pretty sure Sears has a CGL Policy, which may cover damage by its contractors.

In general business things like bodily injuries or property damages are usually handled by said companies' insurance and not always by the actual company.

1. In response to Civsci

Sears is self-insured. They use Sedgwick Claims Management Services.

No one is doing anything about my damages.

8. Hi Sshank!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

I appreciate you sharing with our members for this is a topic that is of great importance when something like this happens.

I would be more than happy to look into this further for you to understand whom is responsible when a mishap like this occurs.

In the meantime I have also forwarded to a the Sears Cares Team in hopes that they too can help in some way.

Again, I thank you for bringing this topic to our MySears Community and I will re-post to this thread my findings.

See More