Question

Extremely upset, dissatisfied customer due to fraudulent scam on sears.com

I have been a Sears customer my entire life, and have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on Sears tractors, appliances, lawn equipment, clothes, tools, etc., and have always been very satisfied. However, this satisfaction has changed to dissatisfaction with a recent purchase, and I am extremely disappointed and upset. On June 30th, I purchased a Sears-O-Pedic Cool Frost Queen Mattress from Sears.com. I purchased this item because I received a Sears sale circular in my newspaper that advertised a Mattress Spectacular sale running from June 30th to July 6th as a special sale for the 4th of July. As part of this sale, it was called a free box spring event, and this particular mattress was to come with a free box spring. When I went online and searched for the mattress in the advertisement, a picture of the mattress appeared, and a little grey box saying “free box spring with the purchase of a Sears-O-Pedic mattress” was superimposed over the picture of the mattress I wished to order. I clicked on the button to purchase the mattress with the free box spring text box, and it was added to my cart. At no time did the order indicate that I had to order the box spring separately, or order the set as a “bundle,” so I assumed it was included with my order. Since the grey text box said “free boxspring,” I surmised that it would automatically be added to my order. In addition, the purchase price of $599.99, which was listed in the Sears circular as the price for a Queen set including box spring, is the price that appeared in my order. I placed the order, thinking that I would be receiving both a mattress and box spring upon delivery.

Unfortunately, my mattress was delivered on Monday, and the box spring was not included with the order. I am extremely disappointed and upset, because I purchased this mattress because of the inclusion of the free box spring. I do not own a queen size box spring, so I am left with a mattress with no box spring. I called the Sears.com customer service hotline, and was told that they had no record of a box spring promotion taking place on those dates. When I told the representative that I had the advertisement in front of me, she then proceeded to blame me, saying I ordered the item incorrectly, and should have ordered it as a bundle. I was told that I pressed the “wrong button,” so the absence of the box spring was my fault. She said I needed to order a new box spring at full price, or I could return the mattress after 30 days, and I would need to pay the delivery service to pick up the mattress, as well as a 15% restocking fee to Sears. These options are not acceptable to me. I honestly feel that the way the pictures were set up on the website with no clear instructions on how to get the free boxspring was done that way to mislead a consumer, and this is a fraudulent deceptive business practice. I clicked on the mattress icon with the free boxspring text box, and the boxspring was not included. So far, no one at Sears has been willing to help me, including Imran Jooma, who puts his e-mail address on Sears.com invoices. I feel that I should receive the boxspring at the original agreed-upon price of no charge with the mattress purchase. I am not asking for something that I am not entitled to; I am simply asking for something that I was led to believe I was originally receiving with my purchase. I am appealing to someone at Sears to help me resolve this problem. It is not a difficult problem, but Sears is making it difficult. I am shocked at the lack of help in resolving this problem, and this is not the legendary customer service Sears is known for. I have spent numerous upsetting, aggravating hours on this, and it is extremely frustrating. If I cannot resolve this in the next several days, I have no recourse but to file a formal complaint with the Illinois Office of the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and the Federal Trade Commission.

Answers

3 answers

1. Liz and Wendy, thank you very much for your quick response, I sent the requested information to the e-mail address you indicated. I look forward to a resolution of this problem.

2. CML13, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We are truly sorry for the troubles you have encountered with your mattress purchase. We certainly can see why you are so disappointed and upset over what has occurred. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (CML13), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking to you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

3. Hi CML13!

Thank you for posting your experience in the MySears Community! I am sorry to hear that you had to experience such an ordeal and certainly understand why this would be upsetting.

We would like to help get this issue resolved for you by having one of our SearsCares team members help in this matter.

If you can please check back periodically one of our team members will be responding requesting additional information so that they can continue to help get this issue resolved.

Thank you!

See More