Question

Favorite Fall Recipe?

Do you have a favorite recipe that is your go to when the weather starts changing? I am hoping to get a soup or stew started today and would love a new idea!

Answers

6 answers

1. Hi Julie –

I know what you mean! The weather changes, the shadows lengthen, and I immediately think of soups and stews. Some of my favorite fall recipes feature seasonal ingredients like this Butternut Apple Bisque. The warm spices – cumin, cinnamon and an Indian spice mix called garam masala – really compliment the squash and apple combination. Another fall favorite is my Three Bean Chili, which relies primarily on pantry staples. I like using chipotle chili purée to add flavor to all sorts of dishes. To make it, I buy a can of chipotle chili peppers and toss the whole thing into my food processor. Then, I portion the puree into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Once frozen, I transfer the cubes to a freezer bag. It lasts for 6 months in the freezer and I have chipotle chili purée on hand whenever I need it. Have fun!

1. In response to Kristen_Desmond

This sounds like exactly what I need, Kristen! I love all those flavors-that is the taste of Fall.

2. Literally made this yesterday....

1 pk frozen tortalini
    2 cans italian diced tomatoes
    1 box or 4 cups vegetable broth
    1 small package fresh spinach
    8oz cream cheese (cut into chunks)

Add all to crock pot cook on low for 5-6 hrs

Though adding the tortalini after the first hour or so makes it so it is not overcooked.

I added some chicken i had sauted in a pan to my bowl at the end since my roommate doesn't do meat.

1. In response to filmdork

Yum! This sounds really good! I could probably handle making this too!

2. In response to filmdork

This is AWESOME, filmdork. It is definitely crock pot weather. I think my kids would eat this one, too!

3. We love chili! When the weather turns cooler, we start cooking up a lot of chili. I generally prefer veggie chili but we also use ground turkey and like chicken & white bean chili too! I have noticed a ton of pumpkin recipes circulating lately and saw that Starbucks is promoting their pumpkin spice flavored drinks too. I haven't started with the pumpkin flavored drinks yet, I'm just not quite ready!