Question

Fool me once, shame on you

On 12/30/13 I ordered an 18 piece socket set from the Sears Outlet web site. I selected shipping during checkout as the delivery method. A charge of $20.33 posted to my credit card 12/31/13. Two weeks later I still had not received the item, so I emailed customer service. I received the following reply:

Thank you for contacting SearsOutlet.com. I am more than happy to be able to assist you today! I know how frustrating it can be to have no information on an order. I contacted our Outlet in Darien and spoke with the manager. They stated that they did not actually have the item in stock and the order should’ve been canceled. The manager stated that he will cancel the order and credit back the full amount back on your card. I checked online and found the we are showing that our Sears Store in Orland Park has the item available for $19.93. If you would like to purchase that one we can credit the difference on the order back down to the cost of $12.88 that your last order was for. All you would have to do is place the order online and provide us with the new order number and we can apply the discount. I hope this helps!

Willing to overlook the fact that no one bothered to tell me or refund my money on an order that they could not and had no intentions of fulfilling (my mistake), I followed the instructions provided by customer service and placed the order online and selected store pickup. This afternoon I drove to Orland Park and when the associate at merchandise pickup brought the 18 piece socket set out, there were only 9 pieces. That’s correct, only 9 of the original 18 were present, below sold at the “low” price of only $19.93. I informed the associate I did not want a half complete set, and there was no indication it was such online. I did not accept the item. He instructed me to go back to the website and cancel my order. I did so when I returned home, only to find that there is no way to cancel this order, as its status indicates “shipped.” I now have an additional charge on my credit card for $21.68 for an item that is grossly not as advertised.

Sears: you have burned me for the last time. I expect both the $20.33 and $21.68 charges for merchandise I never received or accepted to be reversed from my credit card immediately. This has been a complete and utter failure on the part of Sears to fulfill these orders. The only part of this process that worked reliably every time was charging my credit card. I am done purchasing tools from Sears.

Answers

9 answers

1. Mropers- Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback regarding your recent online order. My name is Jack and I am with the Sears Cares Escalations Team. Please accept our apology for the problems that you have had with the 2 Outlet orders that you placed. I can see from reading your post that this has been an aggravating situation for you and we would like to offer the assistance of one of our case managers. Our case manager would contact you, and, after getting some more information about the specific orders involved, would work with our online department to ensure that your refund is processed in a timely manner. In addition, our case manager would also address any other concerns that you may have. If you would like to speak to us about this, please email the following information – your contact phone number, screen name (mropers), and phone number used at the time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again we’re sorry for any trouble this may have caused and we look forward to speaking to you soon.
    Thank you

Jack C.
    MySears Community Moderator

1. In response to SHC-Jack

Sears, your customer service is a colossal failure. I received this email from Vern today:

Good Afternoon,
      My name is Vern and I am a case manager on the case management team at searsoutlet.com. I appreciate your patience in regards to order number 1177017781. I understand that your time is valuable.
      Please accept my apologies regarding any inconvenience we may have caused.
      A credit in the amount of $7.05 was issued to your account today. This credit was issued issues with previous order. The sales check for this transaction is 093224223956. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
      This credit should be viewable by your financial institution within 72 hours. If you have any questions, please contact your financial institution after that period to verify receipt of the credit to your account. Please note your financial institution may have processing guidelines for posting credits that may impact the time it takes for the credit to be reflected in your balance.
      We appreciate your business and we hope to provide you with a more satisfactory experience in the future. We hope you visit us again soon at www.searsoutlet.com.

Thank you for that effort, but as I already informed customer service, I did not accept the incomplete socket set. Can somebody please just sort this out so I get my original purchase of $20.33 that never shipped refunded and then the follow on purchase for $21.68 made at the recommendation of customer service for a product that turned out to be incomplete refunded?? Really, how hard is this?? To sum up:

Order 12306345456, placed 12/30/13. Heard nothing for two weeks, then contacted customer service to find out the status. I learned the store no longer had the item, and they would refund my purchase of $20.33. This has not happened yet. I want this refunded to my card immediately.

Order 1177017781, placed 1/17/14 in response to the email in my original post above. My credit card was charged $21.68. When I arrived at the store to pick the item up, I discovered that only half the sockets in the set were present. I did not pick this order up, and want it refunded to my card immediately.

2. In response to SHC-Jack

Hi mropers! I have passed your feedback along to your case manager and the team. Look to hear from someone soon.

Thanks!

3. In response to SHC-Jack

mropers,

In order for us to properly assist you, we would need you to forward your best contact information to smadvisor@searshc.com and make that attention to, (mropers), the screen name that you used to post on this site. Once we have your information, we can have a case manager reach out and provide you with further assistance. We thank you for your time and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thanks,

Kurt M.

4. In response to SHC-Jack

Dear Kurt,
      I have emailed smadvisor@searshc.com. I have called the number provided by Simone at extension 91. It always goes to voicemail for Alissa and Robert, not Simone.

I received this email Monday:

Good morning!

Thank you for contacting SearsOutlet.com, it's a pleasure to assist you today! I am sorry to hear that this item was not as advertised, I understand how frustrating this can be. I have looked over your order and I show that it will take 3-5 business days for you to receive your full refund. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for contacting Sears Outlet!

Sears Outlet Customer Care
      outlet@customerservice.sears.com
      1-877-927-7957

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
      Dear Sears:

I did not pick this order up because it was grossly not at advertised. Only 9 sockets of an 18 piece set were present. Therefore, the entire purchase price of $21.68 needs to be refunded to my card, not $7.05.

The aforementioned 3-5 business days has now elapsed without the full credit or pending credit posted to my card. This is regarding order 1177017781. Can someone please sort this out??

5. In response to SHC-Jack

Hello mropers,

We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I will forward your post onto your case manager and request a follow up call.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.

6. In response to SHC-Jack

this agrees completely with my own experience, ordering tool from searsoutlet. Some of the worst experience. they charge your credit card, "forget" about your order altogether - didn't even to tell you it's out of stock until you repeatedly call them after weeks. then they forget to credit your account. as you escalate the issue, they keep making one mistake after another. tell me, why are they still in business. what a shame!

2. Hi mropers! Thanks for posting your concerns on MySears! We can get you in touch with SearsCares, the customer service escalation team. They will be happy to follow up on that refund for you and also see if they can track down another full socket set for you to order.

A team member will be by in a bit looking to help. Once they respond, I will let you know via an email which will include a link back to this thread.

Thanks!

3. If a credit is not immediately forthcoming, file a dispute with your credit card company. That will get your account credited more quickly than Sears will do it

See More