Question

Has anyone had their Kenmore Elite French door refrigerator 71053 to automatically defrost? the manual does not explain why it would do so but it’s particularly concerning considerng it did it without warning and therefore defrosted the food as well.

Answers

9 answers

1. Thank you for your clarifications.
    From what you have now described I totally agree with you, your problem was not due to a light staying on! In addition Scott had already determined that your model was not affected by the light defect issue.
    The manual that pulls up here:
    http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L1004027.pdf
    which should be the same as yours, only indicates a one year warranty for items other than the sealed system and as your unit is, according to your post, 18 months old, it would appear that you are on your own.
    I would suggest that you 'shop around' for the best price for a technician's visit and also take into account the 'time' factor for when they agree to attend.
    Good Luck

2. ybiscute, I understand your concern about this refrigerator defrosting. Now, the light issue has been a problem with some models but this model does not appear to be on the list. However, you can check the lights by pressing the door switches manually to make sure they are turning off. The switches are located above the doors and mounted in the hinge covers. Now, even if the lights stayed on, it would only affect the fridge side. If the food in the freezer defrosted and if the unit was not running at all, the most likely problem would be with the control board. Periodically, it will automatically go into a defrost cycle and it's controlled by the control board. If the unit was running but not cooling, then it could be a possible compressor problem or maybe one of the fan motors may have quit working. I recommend having a technician check this. You can call 1-800-469-4663 to schedule a tech to come out. I hope this will help you.

3. There is a known, to both Sears and LG (the manufacturer's), problem which you may have taken to be a 'defrost'.
    The problem is with the lights staying on inside when the door is shut warming up the refrigerator, spoiling the contents and burning the light housing.
    Could you please quote the full model and serial numbers for your machine? This will allow the Expert to determine if your machine is likely to encounter this problem. The full model number will start with 795.

1. In response to inquisitivemind

This model does not appear to be on the list for the lights. However, the light problem would not affect the freezer section. Now, this refrigerator does have an automatic defrost cycle that is controlled by the main control board. If the unit did quit running and food defrosted, it's very possible the control board may have failed, to bring the unit back on, from the defrost cycle. I recommend having a technician check this. You can call 1-800-469-4663 to schedule a tech to come out.

2. In response to inquisitivemind

Thank you Scott I was not sure if 'it' was on the list or not.

3. In response to inquisitivemind

The full model number is 795.71053.011. I say it was in a defrost cycle because according to the Troubleshooting Guide/Manual (page 39) the noise that I heard, which prompted me to open the freezer, and was visually confirmed was "water dripping on the defrost heater during a defrost cycle may cause a sizzling sound." I had gone into the freezer not even an hour before it started and everything was frozen. Then the "sizzling" starts and 1/2 gallon ice cream is turned to cream and frozen chicken is ready to fry. This is not the result a light staying on.

On page 32 of the manual it states that "both the refrigerator and freezer sections defrost automatically." But that's it. No mention about what triggers it but I find it unacceptable that a refrigerator would automatically defrost with no warning and ruin food.

4. In response to inquisitivemind

Neglected to mention that it did stop defrosting and the sizzling water has now frozen in the bottom of the freezer. But I don't feel I can "trust" it not to defrost again. I've had the refrigerator for 18 months and this is the first time it has gone into a defrost cycle.

5. In response to inquisitivemind

Hello ybiscute. I understand your distrust of the refrigerator. You seem to indicate that it is now cooling properly and does not seem to be having any problems. The refrigerator will normally display an error code when it detects a component problem or a failure in a system. If you are not seeing any error codes, then the refrigerator may be working properly. In that situation, it may continue to work properly going forward. You can monitor the refrigerator to see if it will continue to work properly before calling for service. If you need more help, post some additional details and we will try to assist you further.

4. Hi ybiscute!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

Oh no, that is not a good! I am sorry that this has happened and would really like to try and help in finding out why this may have happened. Especially since it is not mentioned in the manual and my hope is that there is not an underlying issue involved.

I am going to reach out to one of our Sears Appliance Experts whom may be able to help provide you with answers as to why this had taken place. We have very knowledgeable experts who are great with troubleshooting as well as providing you with answers on what the next step should be.

Please check back for a reply.

Thank you! ;)