Question

Hi, I purchased 2 snow throwers last year from Sears a 24 inch & a 26 inch. I took them out of the boxeand gas them up , but with a mild winter we had i did not use them at all. this is in UTICA, N.Y. Now here we are getting ready for another winter, Yesterday I fired up both machines and thay were surgering up & down. I did not use fuel stablizer & and I did not run the fuel out. I know the 10 % enthnol messed up the carbs. So today I took each carb and cleaned them up , Now the machines are running great. In doing this carb cleaning On the 24 inch machine when I took off the belt cover where the pullies are, low and behold I found Two bolts missing which securites the Plate cover to the housing. If it were not for cleaning out the carbs I would have never have taken the belt cover off. I do think SEARS should a least send me the two plate bolts that are missing. It is not the price of the two bolts, ! But think someone is not doing there JOB at CRAFTSMANS Period Yours Truly Mr. Joseph A Jonquil

Answers

7 answers

1. Hi Joseph, have you checked the manual for your snow thrower? The Craftsman 24" 88957 only has one bolt in the cover plate, probably by design. Also the best ethanol treatment for small seasonal engines is to drain the tank and run them dry. Stabilizer has very little effect against phase separation in the fuel. Eventually your engines would have smoothed out but the best solution is to run them dry. Good luck.

2. Hello Mr. Jonquil,

First of all, we apologize for the trouble you experienced with your snow throwers this year. We certainly understand your concern with this matter and we are also curious as to why the plate bolts were missing on your machines. I would like to get you in contact with one of our dedicated case managers to assist you with this.
    At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the snow throwers were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (jarj697290 / Joseph A Jonquil) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
    Zenaida M.
    MySears Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

3. Hi Joseph! Thanks for posting today. I am glad you were able to figure out what the issue was. Check back on this thread for a response from a SearsCares team member. They will be happy to discuss the missing bolts with you. Thanks!

• San Jose, CA

Excellent catch on those two bolts.

Are these special sized bolts or just standard hardware items?

Maybe, instead of sending you something physical, that your hardware store carries, you should get a "gift card" for your extra work?

Do you have the extra shear-pins for both of the snow moving machines?

4. For the future, I recommend using fuel stabilizer in every can of gas. It keeps the gas from degrading (up to 2 years), and prevents ethanol damage to carbs and engines. Plus, you won't have to run the engine dry before putting it away for the season. Just take it out and fire it up. I've been using it for my mower and pressure washer, and have yet to have any issues with the engines starting (other than needing to change the spark plug).

• San Jose, CA

In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

Is there any performance difference between using Stabil or Sea Foam fuel additives?

Right now, I sort of view the whole thing as different company's computer Virus checkers - hard to determine a clear winner.

5. Craftsman (Sears) do not manufacture anything. They are manufactured by major manufacturers' and 're-badged' although they will very likely have some minor difference so that they are exclusive to Craftsman.

See More