Question

Hi…I have a KENMORE ELITE RANGE, double oven, model number 79098023801 manufactured in Nov. 2009. We have had this oven for just under 4 years and of course it is out of warranty. Over the past many months the oven racks no longer fit in the oven. They fell when I put something in the oven to cook. I went through 2 days of trying to get to someone to understand my problem. After much frustration, a technician came in and said that the oven walls had expanded and that this was a defect of the manufacturer. He literally “banged” it back in place by taking off the outside oven panel and hitting it back in place BUT it will probably expand again. Sears will not come good for this and acknowledge that there is an actual defect in the range. I reported the problem to CPSC.GOV as an unsafe product. I almost burned myself on many occasions as my racks fell with hot food on them. I feel that these ranges should be recalled as they are unsafe. I believe that my oven should be replaced by different model. All of our appliances have come from Sears and has been that way over my adult lifetime. I have lost confidence in Sears as they do not stand behind their product. Because my warranty is expired, they do not feel that it is their responsibility any longer. Oh, by the way, I googled this and I have found others with the same problem with the same model! What a shame!

Answers

7 answers

1. I also have a kenmore elite range that was purchased in 2009. My racks no longer fit which is making cooking impossible. I agree that there should be a recall on this oven. There is no reason for this except that is was made poorly.

1. In response to toryt

toryt,

Thank you for expressing your concern regarding your range. We’re sorry that you’re having troubles with you racks. We would be happy to have a case manager contact you directly so we may discuss this with you. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (toryt) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
      David W.
      MySears Community Moderator

2. I too have a Kenmore Elite--mine is a slide-in gas range. Yesterday the thanksgiving turkey fell as the racks no longer fit on the slide-ins--luckily I averted a disaster but this is a very dangerous situation as you already know. I called Sears "complaint" and they acknowleged that it is a problem but not enough customers have registered complaints to warrant a recall. My stove is one year past warranty so they wanted to do nothing but send a repair person out to assess the situation to the tune of $75.This stove cost about $1500 new! We know the problem , the walls are bowed! My next step is to also contact CSPC.Gov and register a complaint. I am also urging everyone else with this problem to do the same. I also intend to try to get Consumer Reports to do a follow-up on this model as it was rated their top pick 6 years ago when we purchased ours.

1. In response to jennmckown

Hi there, jennmckown! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry to hear about your oven rack falling-especially with a Thanksgiving turkey in there. I can imagine that was quite a shock for you and your family. I would like to get you in touch with SearsCares, the customer service escalation team. They will be happy to discuss this issue with you further and do what they can to help.

A team member will be by shortly with a response. Once they post, I will notify you via email with a link directing you back to this thread so you can view it.

Keep us posted!

Thanks!

2. In response to jennmckown

jennmckown,

We’re sorry to hear about the range issues and that our customer service did not meet expectations. My name is David with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to discuss this situation with you and address any other concerns you may have. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (jennmckown) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
      David W.

3. Dear Americangoose,

My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Cares team. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble with your Kenmore Elite Range, and apologize that you have not been able to find the help that you need. We can certainly understand why this situation would be more than a little bit concerning for you, and we’d like the chance to look into the concerns you have brought to our attention. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Americangoose), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

Thank you,
    Brian S.

4. Hi americangoose,

Welcome to the MySears Community and thank you for taking the time to share your concerns!

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your Kenmore Elite Range. I would like to put you in contact with our Sears Cares Team to assist you further with this issue. Please know that I will be reaching out via email once a response has posted.

Thanks again for taking the time to reach out!