Question

Hoping that you are able to help and I am not passed between departments. Problem with Central air installation.

Approximately two years prior we had a central air conditioning unit and thermostat purchased and then installed by Sears. Shortly after the installation we have been having problems with the thermostat providing inaccurate readings (i.e. showing that it is 140 degrees outside and 16 degrees in the home. — I live in Sussex county delaware – it is NEVER that hot here). Since it reads 16 degrees in the home (which it is NOT) we called Sears repair. Needless to say, when the thermostat reads 16 degrees in the home, we are unable to have air conditioning due to inaccurate reading.

A week prior a serviceman arrived and found what he believed to be the problem. After some inspection – he saw that the sensor was laid on the ground below the trailer – -to which he stated was a very unusual spot for the placement of said sensor. It was his belief that the due to the placement of the sensor, the sensor got wet – and shorted, thus leading to the inaccurate readings. He stated that the sensor was not his problem, it was a problem that occurred due to installation. Since it was not his “area” he was not equipped to fix it asked for his $69.00 check for the service call and left.

I am hopeful that you are able to remedy this situation.

Answers

3 answers

1. Hi MARNTrish12345,

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you’ve encountered with your air conditioning installation/repair. I completely understand the concern you’ve expressed about the sensor and we will be happy to speak to you about this matter.

We value you as a Sears customer and look forward to speaking to you soon. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (MARNTrish12345), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.

Thank you,

Dee M.
    MySears Community Moderator

2. Hi there, MARNTrish12345! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry to hear that you have had trouble with the sensor on your A/C unit. We can get you in touch with the SearsCares team-they will do what they can to make sure you are fully taken care of.

Check back here in a bit for a reply from a team member.

Thanks!

• San Jose, CA

Does the thermostat control unit have a visible long model number?

With that number, the Sears Parts Direct.com site could be queried, concerning the availability and cost of a "new outside sensor" for the control unit.

The wire is already run.

The new sensor would just need to be mounted farther away from any source of water.

Although the old sensor is out of the sun, it sounds like it is located in an area that does not receive much air flow or whose ground area is warmed by the sun.

You may want to see about adding wire to the existing outdoor sensor wire and relocating the new sensor to a different spot.

Good luck.

See More